• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's probably too busy getting up as quick as he can before heading back down in time for work! God love him though as I know no one else around here with as much enthusiasm.

Well at least we didn't really get any rain today. The snow was very wet in the village but it has helped consolidate the base and it is now below freezing again and plenty of snow forecast over the next few days. Should be plenty of cover for top to bottom skiing for opening day.

Not thinking of skiing this weekend myself as off piste wont be great and I'm really not into skiing on piste all day.

Been dumping in HIrafu for most of the day. It's been windy too with blowing snow, so there's sure to be some good drifting up high. Lifts open tomorrow on about a 50cm base down low and 1m+ up high.

Originally Posted By: skidaisuki
Yep - the cams in central Hokkaido (Asahikawa / Furano) have been iced up in some cases this morning. Plenty of white stuff.

Hey, man. Where are the Furano snow cams?? I've been lookin' and lookin'. Google doesn't show any at all. The nearest I can get is at the Land Cafe/ Biei. While this is OK, I'd really love to have a look at the hill(s) at Furano

Cheers

In comparison to previous years what are the gossip mungers saying this year is going to do? I'm cruising over mid January, with the falls Niseko has had so far, approx how much snow will be around in mid jan?

Banno, been to Japan before? No? Then in mid-Jan you will find more snow than you have ever seen before! <wink>

We will be there at that time also - and it is pretty mind blowing for Aussies on thier first trip. Even in a poor season!

Banno the worst season ever recorded here would still be a massive season in Australia. The extended forecast is for average snowfalls this winter. An average year is way beyond the best season ever recorded in Australia. So don't worry it'll be awesome.

I came over last year and a friend swayed us to go to Shiga Kogen unfortunately it was pretty bad, we only got 1 descent fall in 12 days. However it was still better than anything I have experienced over here. I took my 12 year old daughter and even she was disappointed, but that might be the youth of today, always wants the best LOL.

Well we were in Niseko in April - we knew it would be the end of the season and we risked not enough snow to ride, and no snowfalls while we were there - but the menfolk enjoyed themselves SO much in January they HAD to take us for the school holidays over Easter.

Not only was there plenty to ride - but we had snow falling every day (light yes - but it was still falling!). By the last day there were some mud patches on the run to the bottom - had to avoid them.

But all in all FANTASTIC!

Your 12 yr old has obviously not had to fall on the Aussie Ice Pack enough if she was disappointed! My 15 yr old was in NZ CAdrona in July - and that was sheet ice as well - he tore his board to shreds - but he still managed to have fun.

We are HANGING OUT to get to Niseko this January to ride true powder - SO much softer to come a cropper than the ice! It will give us all the confidence to go a bit faster and ride a bit harder.

You have nothing to worry about!

I'm out of town now, but my friends say Sapporo is snow-free right now and not too cold. Webcams confirm this. Seems to be still getting reasonably steady snowfall in the Southwest mountains (Kokusai, Kiroro, Niseko, Rusutsu) and the Daisetsuzan-sanmyaku (Asahidake). Let's hope that predicted dump comes in this weekend!

I'm thinking next Monday night through Tuesday will bring a pretty big dump. Between now and then there should be enough snow to maintain current conditions if not improve them a little.

Kewl from memory when I arrived on January 6 this year it had been a very slow start and there was a 125cm base, over the following two weeks this was more than doubled.

Looking forward to clicking into the ski's just before New year again, come to think of it, it will be my third season in a single year.