• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

to pay, or not to pay...taken from japantimes

How many of you pay NHK? I dont. I havent been asked since I moved in my new place yet and will just decline politely.

But it seems the government might change the laws and make a penalty for not paying. (currently there isnt one)

Do you think, especially if you cant understand Japanese, that you should be required by law to pay? Discuss and vote.

Yeah I know Stemik, but good quality BBc programming is few and far between. They are always showing re-runs of old programmes, and the new ones that do sprout up seem to be amateurish at best. Yet the executives still seem to award themselves pay rises. It doesn't make sense. If I had the choice I'd unsubscribe from the BBC

It doesn't seem logical - for either the BBC or NHK, to force an unwanted service into your living room and then ask you to pay for it. I don't see why everyone can't just pay for the channels they want to watch. I guess when the system was set up the technology to do that wasn't available but it is now. Time for an update, me thinks.

NHK is the only thing on Japanese TV I can watch without wanting to leave the country. I dont mind the system, so long as I can get away without paying ;\)

Seriously though, they need to get strict about it. In UK you cannot get away with it anymore but here its a joke how easy it is to not pay.

I've haven't been in the habit of watching much J TV and in the past I never paid. I just said I don't watch TV, which was a bit of a lie. Now we pay. I don't know if I watch enough to get my money's worth but I think public TV has an important place. And, like B12 said, it's usually the only thing I can watch on TV that doesn't make me want to puke (paraphrasing). They've got some good shows actually. I know some guys who get in a huff when the guy comes to their door -- "F-- that. I'm not paying for that!" --If you really don't watch TV at all, then you shouln't have to pay, but there's a lot on NHK and I think it's a pretty good service.

Once upon a time, cable TV promised commercial free, non-stop programming. Now, it's non-stop programming with commercials.

How ridiculous would it be if these days the TV detector van came round your street. They'd be hung up by the homies.

Forget about it.

The BBC basically have a system where they start legal proceedings quite early as a routine measure if you dont have a licence. Not sure how they do it, I think they know when you move into a new place somehow.

I think it should be if you order NHK (I couldnt give two $hits bout having it or not) then you pay. Makes sense and I agree with that. But to force people to pay for something they might not want sucks...especially 2500 (??) yen/month is stoooooopid.

Chump? and CB, you got my wife wrong big time.

My wife paid once because the NHK peniso came right when we had new students and their mothers at the door. She didn't have time to stand there and argue and look cheap in front of the students. I wasn't very happy that she did but they've only been back once and she didn't pay because she thinks it's a rort too.

7500yen for a total of 7 years is nothing. I make that in half an hour and the tax man has been nice to me so I can't really complain.

I voted no anyway in this vote, so fellas you'd be looking for another chump.