A friend told me he heard there are going to be some direct flights from England to Niseko this season. This sounds very surprising to me as I do not think many people would be willing to fly 12 hours when they can get to the slopes just accross the channel. Has anybody heard anything similar?

I remember that KLM wanted to open a line from Nagoya to Amsterdam. The Japanese authorities would only let them fly that route if they would make a stopover in Sapporo. sofar there is no KLM flight from Nagoya.

I guess BA will be doing something similar. so Sapporo will probably only be a stopover to somewhere else in japan, but an interesting one for skiing/boarding in Hokkaido.

Originally Posted By: SerreChe
A friend told me he heard there are going to be some direct flights from England to Niseko this season. This sounds very surprising to me as I do not think many people would be willing to fly 12 hours when they can get to the slopes just accross the channel. Has anybody heard anything similar?

I did that trip last year, though I was in Japan for 2 weeks, 1 skiing in Hokkaido and the other visiting old friends in Aichi.

I wish there was a direct flight, but I have been looking and haven't found any. My trip last year was a bit of a marathon, London --> Frankfurt --> Narita --> Hanada (bus) --> Chitose. Then a trip to Centrair after 1 week and Centrair --> Narita --> Frankfurt --> London to get back. Not worth the effort for 1 week IMHO, but at £450 for all flights and not a lot to stay with friends, the cost wasn't a great deal different to France.

Part of the reason for the trip was sh*t snow in Europe last year, at least it was when I went to Morzine in January. Skiing on frozen turf is no fun! The locals were complaining about the snow at Niseko last year, but I had a mix of good piste skiing days with blue skies and view of Yotei-san, and traditional waist deep powder!
 Originally Posted By: SerreChe
Sanno, did you see BA had something direct then? Just out of curiosity I'll try to check it out.

Did you find anything SerreChe?

what?? I love that bus ride.

Looking at the deep snow on the sides of the road, anticipation, excitement, some wine. Not too much though for the risk of bursting.

Some aussies on my bus last season almost burst 10 minutes from their hotel. They leaked in the bushes at Nikko. Disgusting, they could've just used the toilets in the hotel, the bus was waiting for them to continue.

Originally Posted By: thursday
prob not bushes right in front of a large hotel in plain view.

No, more likely on the main street outside a train station in central Tokyo, or on the street near my house not even bothering to aim in the other direction as I walk past, or on the last train home as the doors open to let more people on, but not finishing before the doors close again.
Japanese guys (especially old ones) seem to think it is their right to urinate wherever.

(sorry way off topic!)

a train station in Tokyo aint a luxurious hotel. Vagrants camped on the underpass next to the station aint exactly in full view of tourists on the snowbus to heaven.

No matter the nationality, creed, degree of greed, it's disgusting.

no thursday. In Japan it isn't just the vagrants. And yes, they do just piss where and when they want. On a road in front of your house, at a train station, in front of a luxury hotel, anywhere they please.

That's what I was going to say too BP. The examples above are not vagrants but businessmen in suits. I don't care if someone needs to take a leak down a side street after a night out but in Japan, men are absolutely the most indiscreet of any country I have been to.

haha...it sounds the same as football fans back home. On away days all along the motorway is hundreds of buses parked at the side with hundreds of men having a slash, then god forbid you live near to the stadium, especially when the Glasgow two are plaing, the street is just an open toilet!! Agree Thurs, pretty disgusting, but when needs must!!