• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best thing to do if you can't find a good job is to go out on your own.

Hard at first, but worth it when it starts to happen.

I have a great offer for anyone looking for a good career opportunity Nova teacher or not!

My school goes up for sale soon , enquiries welcome \:\)

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
Im surprised that your old job would pop up actually. They cant find in house at the moment?

The Uni board wants it open to all I guess...I got Taz the job without having any other applicants. It's a great salary, bout 4 months yearly vacation, and less than 20 hours per week. Students arent the greatest nor the most motivated but for that salary/vacation time I didnt care. Got 9000 posts on SJ \:D lol.gif \:D

I would say it depends on your position

教授

教諭

嘱託講師

制約社員

would all have different salaries so it depends. Uni salaries arent always better than HS unless youre a tenured prof. So, no, I dont think so. Just looked at ohayo earlier today trying to see if my old job is up and, if I remember correctly, there were uni jobs with less pay.

That kinda sucks if you have a masters in teaching/linguistics etc and you can only choose from X number of unis and they pay less than 5m and wont make you a proper full timer.

But I guess thats life, and at least its better than being a philosophy graduate.

I'd say that non-tenured profs would prolly be in the majority. Arudo Debito has gone off on this subject many times and has some interesting info on his site. I dont always think Uni jobs are better than JHS/HS, especially if both are tenured. Im tenured at my JHS/HS and have some gaijin friends at the Uni and some things they have to deal with do sound like a pain in the arse to me...something I wouldnt wanna do at at Uni at least. On the other hand, having a homeroom and being on diff committies, and administrative duties takes up about 70% of my time at work. Busy as but its a great environment with the best kids \:\)

Originally Posted By: bobby12
That kinda sucks if you have a masters in teaching/linguistics etc and you can only choose from X number of unis and they pay less than 5m and wont make you a proper full timer.

Maybe, but it's probably a fair bit easier to get into Unis here than in Can/US/etc. (Mainly because the standards aren't as high) Plus,you should clear 5 mil easily.

"Labor body hopes to grill Nova chief on pay missteps

OSAKA (Kyodo) An Osaka labor standards watchdog wants to question the president of scandal-hit English-language school chain Nova Corp. over delayed wage payments, but meanwhile four executives of the firm have resigned because they can't get ahold of their boss, Nova said Wednesday."

Can you say harakiri???

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20071025a2.html

"With the Osaka Central Labor Standards Supervision Office looking to question him with an eye toward pressing for criminal charges and his employees turning up the heat over nonpayment of their wages, Nozomu Sahashi, president of the Nova Corp. language school chain, is currently nowhere to be found."

from today's Japantimes.com

Oh yeah, buddy is hanging in some room right now, asleep in a car, or fled the country...or has his guts laying on the floor somewhere. Hes done. Good Riddance too!!

From Bloomberg:

By Ron Rhodes and Tak Kumakura

Oct. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Nova Corp., an Osaka-based language

school operator, filed for court protection from creditors with

43.9 billion yen ($385 million) of debt. Nova stock is suspended

from trading on the Jasdaq exchange and will be delisted.

The company filed for bankruptcy with the Osaka District

Court today, according to a statement distributed through the

Tokyo Stock Exchange. Nova shares will be delisted on the Jasdaq

Nov. 27.

Nova was barred in June from accepting new students for six

months, after the government said it used misleading advertising.

The company will suspend operations at all schools, Kyodo News

reported.

--With reporting by Eijiro Ueno and Gregory Turk in Tokyo.

Editor: Rhodes (jws/gat/wdg).

This is the end

My only friend, the end.

Some poor buggers are only going to have few weeks left on their visas. That probably hurts more than a months wages. If other schools are anything to go by, they'll get their money eventually.

yeah, they'll get it eventually but its trying to plug the gap. I know many instructors and they don't have a pot to piss in. Absolutely broke. Even if they get a job now, some companies won't pay them till the end of december, bad time of year to be looking for a job IMO