• 2 weeks later...
 Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Japan isn't an expensive country. It's nice to able to look out of the window of a morning and say yea or nay.

Check this article out.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2007/10/03/noindex/pjapan129.xml

Off on a tangent here, but that's an interesting article.

You can get traditional houses very cheaply as it says (unlike the overpriced stuff in Niseko bizarrely tacked on at the end). There are actually lots of Japanese architects doing such renovations (kominka saisei), but Bengs is kind of a poster child for them and gets extra attention because he's a gaijin. I think he's actually done more Japanese gardens in Germany than old houses in Japan. The best-known renovation practice is Furihata's in Shiojiri. They've done something like four hundred.

My partner and I are heading over to Niseko (from Aus) in December for a week (15-23rd) although I am already making plans to head back over in February-March. Hopefully work will have a job on over in Japan around then, and I might be able to tack another week or so on at the start or the end of that. :-D Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Al