I am involved in a big Halloween event here in Hakuba. We will have about 150 kids come past our place for a bit of trick or treat. Having grown up in Oz I don't really know what the Halloween rules are. I am thinking of putting up some rubber spiders, fake spider webs and some pumpkins but I am not sure how far I am meant to go. Are the kids meant to be scared. What is a good treat. Any tips from those in the know would be appreciated.

I guess it depends who you ask. Halloween is an old Pagan festival where people believed the dead spirts came back (like Obon) so they put up scary decorations and wore scary costumes to scare away (or depending on what you read, to blend in with) all the ghouls and ghosts. In the UK, Halloween is strictly scary stuff and I remember being scared walking to my friends house in the evening cos I thought ghosts were going to come and get me.

In North America I think it's a lot more Disney and fluffy fairies.

TJ

My missus went two years ago and said that the kids dress up and work their way up Echoland to the chapel. The places they stop at give the kids a few sweets each. I suppose something wrapped is best to keep those little hands and costumes clean. My missus says the shops are decorated with banners, pumpkins (big but not super giant) and stuff, but not like haunted houses or anything. The main thing is at the chapel.

Its probably Halloween already at Tokyo Disneyland, which just shows how foreign festivals are treated in Japan. Noone has a clue or cares about what they should be like. As long as its fun, anything will do.

Sony Plaza in Nagano is probably the closest place to get imported party supplies. Its in the annex building joined to the Tokyu Department Store in front of Nagano station. If you want a massive pumpkin, you can get em at Costco. They're quite expensive though.

Halloween, Don't really like to teach it because it doesn't really mean shiat to me. The kids love it though.. and I don't mind the adult party, but when isn't a dress up party fun!

I was in Mex for the day of the dead. Now that was awesome!

Halloween wasn't big in Aus (at least when I was a kid) and I don't remember having any real interest in it all. Don't think I have ever been trick or treating or even put up any sort of decoration or carved up a pumpkin.

It originated in Ireland and Scotland, as Me Jane says its a pagan festival. Trick or Treating actually derives from "Guising" in Scotland, its the same in most respects except there is no "tricking". The kids dress up and go from house to house but they have to do something, like sing a song, tell a joke, do a dance, before they get any sweets or money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

this is a pretty interesting read

The whole Haloween thing is polarizing people in Oz.

More and more kids are taking to the streets each year to trick or treat. From the kids point of view it's all about fun with the opportunity to get some free lollies (candy).

Some see it as yet another part of American culture intruding on our way of life. (me included)

Some see it as kids having harmless fun.

I think most people don't even realize that it's origins are from pagan Scotland.

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Egg
The Halloween things have been out in our local toy store since mid September!

Yep, but what's new. Easter stuff in OZ is out a week or 2 after Xmas these days.
Once Halloween is done it'll be Xmas for a few months!
  • 1 month later...