Hi folks new here wave.gif

I'm thinking about buying a video camera and was looking at them all over the weekend. I was getting confused on all the formats - tape, dvd, hdd - and feel the hdd version might be best and the least fuss. The Sony SR8 100GB one looked good.

Anyone any words of wisdom on what might be good for general scenery and also taking out on the snow this winter.

Thanks

\:\)

I went with HDD - So far we have done a fair bit of filming but we are just starting to edit the stuff now.

For filming and capturing the HDD made life way easier. Never have to worry about running out of tape or taping over something that you want. Dont have to fastforward or rewind anything to get it in the right place for filming. In Japan DV tapes were cheap, in NZ they are $10 each. Capturing is a simple drag and drop process.

I will comment on editing after we have done some more of it. So far its been OK. Most of the problems I have read about will be solved when editing software catches up.

Hdd and DVD models record in Mpeg2 which is the format DVD's use. On the model I have you can select the bit rate (quality) that it is recorded in. Top quality is 10 mbps, regular is 6 or 7 and low quality is less. I recorded everything in top quality mode which would be good for a short movie but if I want to make a longer movie and want to put it on a single layer DVD then I might have to re-encode it at a lower rate to fit it on the DVD.

The audio is recorded in Dolby Stereo which is the slightly tricky bit. Our older version of Premiere Pro didnt like that audio format. It can encode things into that format but the source materiel cant be in that format. I acquired a fairly new version of Premiere Elements and it was no problem.

Mini-DV tape records in DV-AVI format. It is considered better but once you make your movie if you want to watch the movie on a DVD player then you have to convert to Mpeg2 anyway.

In the next week or two we will have finished a short movie filmed with the HDD camera and will be able to do a direct comparison between movies filmed onto tape and converted to Mpeg 2 and one that was filmed directly onto mpeg 2.

I got the Panasonic SDR-H250

I took a while to decide not to go Hi-def but in the end I want to put the edited footage on DVD so its just easier to film in the same res as I want to view it in.