Hiya all,

I know this is waaay early to post, but I am flying to Japan on Feb 12th 2008, and will be heading up to hakuba on the 14th, to snowboard for a week. (My first time to Japan)

I was was wondering if anyone had any tips for an English speaking n00b.

My partner is not coming with me, so I will be alone unfortunately, so hoping to meet someone to go boarding with each day.

I'm 34, a web designer & I enjoy a good drink after a hard day.

(geez, starting to sound like a desperate personals add =) heh heh.

I haven't boarded for years & years, but my level back then was intermediate (but I enjoy black runs).

Anyhow, any tips, advice, offers etc are warmly regarded, and will make my trip even better.

Thanks for reading,

Regards,

Ryan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just do it...get ready for a gong show of travel..depending when your flight lands...

i came over in the same siutation...a touch of stress but in the end was pretty easy...except for negotiating shinjuku trains with my gear around 5pm. hopefully your flight lands earlier.

i went down one plattform to many...stated walking back dragging my board bag and other roller bag up...half way there and train must have let out, cause all of a sudden all of japan was coming down the stairs. i just stopped and said what the? and laughed a little...

fattwins on this site served me with all the directions and accomadatoin info i needed....i had a sickter trip...dream about it all the time...hopin again for this year.

ian you better be dreamin for a year like the one you came, cos if you had come last year you woulda been very disappointed. You lucked into some awesome pow right off the plane and non-stop for the whole time you were here!

Originally Posted By: Indo
Avoid dragging your gear with you.
From the airport you arrive at, get it sent to your acommodation and you will be on easy street.

I love the luggage delivery in this country.

also, narita has really nice showers. 2nd level, ask info.

=)

Cheers for all the input... (and good tip Samurai..)

2 for 1?, is that only in happy hour ...heh heh.

Man, I am seriously looking forward to this. Landing in Osaka, spend a day reovering (Bad flight..)

Perth > Melbourne + 4 hour stopover

Melb > Sydney + 4 Hour stopover

Sydney > Osaka , then Sushi + Saki + Sleep

1 Day in osaka, then train up to hakuba.

I heard Fattwins has a place ij Hakuba, will give him an email (looks nice).

Will def drop you a line Spooks, cheers =)

Cheers for the Comments all, keep em comin, !

damn they make it a hassle getting to Japan on... Qantas was it?? Why don't you go via Singapore, Malaysia or Thailand? I always do that and it kicks the arse out of any messing around going all the way across to Sydney/Melbourne/wherever.

hey Bushpig, nah not Qantas, we are going with Webjet (Please stop Laughing). U bring ur own food, pay extra for Video etc. I think I also ned to take my own Foldout chair. I live in the Hills (Parkerville), but work right on the beautiful swan river Matilda Bay. I am a Web dev/designer/manager.

It is a real pain, but will save $600Aud a ticket, which pays for my Lift pass & more. =)

I also just bought a board & Boots from melbs on Ebay, but lookign at rental prices, I probably shouldn't have bothered. Oh well..... =)

FLights really suck, but will be travelling to Tokyo, Hakuba, Osaka & a few other places. 1 Week boarding, then 2 days in a few other places. This is gonna be a fast paced holiday. Stressful, yet amazing I am sure.