There was a bit of banter going on about the Speccy in the chatbox earlier on, even some mention that one of the sjs published a game on the thing? (do tell).

Here are some of my favourite Speccy memories

10 Print Cam is gay

20 Goto 10

run

or something like that. Poor Cam, he was bullied.

Games:

Hungry Horace

Jet Pac

Psssst

Atik Atack

\:\)

• SnowJapan Admin
 Quote:
even some mention that one of the sjs published a game on the thing? (do tell).

lol.gif

Yes that was me... I wrote a game on the 16K Spectrum when I was about 14 or 15 maybe, put an advert in one of the Sinclair magazines and sold it. I remember being really surprised when people actually ordered them and having to buy all the blank cassettes and make copies. I can't remember how many I sold, I think it was about 500 in the end.

That sure brings back a lot of memories!
  • 9 months later...

From the man who brought us the Speccy, and this:

Page4.jpg

perhaps his next machine will be a flying car

Quote:
Sir Clive, best known for the ill-fated electrical vehicle the C5, said personal flying machines would be “economically and technically possible”.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s PM programme, he said: “I’m sure it will happen and I am sure it will change the world dramatically.”

The celebrated inventor said any flying machine would have to be powered by electricity, because petrol engines were not reliable enough.

“It would need to be automatically controlled because we can’t all learn to fly,” he said. “The vehicle would take off from your home and fly to wherever you want to go.” Sir Clive said he had no plans to develop flying car technology but said he would “love to be involved” with any effort.

He said: “Long before the C5, and ever since, I have strongly believed in electric vehicles. I am glad to say it’s all happening at long last.”

Wow this takes me back, I remember my first computer a ZX81 and then my next was a commodore 64k, at the time I thought they were so cool.

I had pacmam, 3d dinosaur maze or something, and some other games like that.

I still got both computers sitting in the loft at my parents house somewhere.

I had a 48k with the rubber buttons, then I got a Commodore 64k and then a Commodore AMIGA, Sensible Soccer has got to be THE greatest football game ever made!!

I remember sitting typing in basic commands for an hour to get a little bouncing ball on the TV screen on my SO wonderful Commodore64.

A year or two down the track I think my brother was playing Wizard of Wor/War...something like that on it - I was over the C64 by that stage - too busy at Uni, but still typing my assignments up on an OLD OLD OLD manual typewriter and making corrections with tipex correction fluid!

But I sure did enjoy the desktop pacman!

• 2 years later...

Old computer fans!

(Where's the Vic20?!)

The Commodore 64, an icon of 1980s computing, is returning to take advantage of the appetite for retro technology.

C64-left_1703649c.jpg

The original introduced a generation to the possibilities of home computing - including classic videogames such as Elite and International Karate.

Now it is being relaunched with an up-to-date WIndows PC under its original 1980s shell.

A new company, Commodore USA, is taking orders for the machine. Commodore International, responsible for the 8-bit original, went bankrupt in 1994.

The modern version features a dual-core Intel Atom D525 processor at 1.8GHz and 2GB of RAM. It will ship with emulator software to run original Commodore 64 programmes, which had to make to with MOS 6502 processor at 1MHz and 64K of RAM.

And while 1980s Commodore 64 programmes came on cassette tapes or floppy disks, its modern imitator has a USB ports, WiFi, a multiformat memory card reader and optional Blu-Ray drive.

I found my old Speccy in the attic last summer.

I might try and get it set up this summer when I go back, had a few games and a cassette player with it as well so could get some of them working. Can't remember if it was packed up working or not.