Hirafu usually opens around the last week of Nov. The first in Hokkaido is often the little resort at Nakayama toge because of it's high base, generally sometime in mid Nov.

Kagura is usually towards the end of November.

A few other places around here open up when there is enough snow - usually maybe around mid December. All hope to be open by around Christmas. Last year was poor so hopefully things will be on time or early this time round.

i like watching the cams and daily pics all november, and seeing the grass turn to white.

although to a non-snow lover, this must sound about as exciting as watching grass grow

I boarded Karuizawa on November 1st last season. Expect them to be open from then on again this season. 2 weeks later Naeba opens. Both with artificial snow of course! But if you're desperate...

Well I am guessing there will be resorts opening earlier than usual this year.

some of you may remember that I said we would have a long hot summer this year, which so far we have. And I said that this winter was going to be a cold one, well looking at several things still is indicating a cold one.

Actually some of the typical winter airstreams are already with us, just the cold air hasn't arrived yet obviously and the air system of course is not settled yet and wont be until around November, quite different to last year.

How long the season will last I can't tell for sure, but I believe it will be at least usual length. I also think that the east side will get snow this year, and I mean a decent dump, not the few flakes that normally falls in Tokyo and surrounding areas.

The reason for this is that the winter jetstream that usually is dominant across the country may well be slightly further over than usual, causing cold wet winds to dominate a larger area of the country.

If the weather turns out to be like I said above then it is not GW that is the course of the unpredictable weather that we have been getting over the past years, it's ............ (tell you all later)

Thats cause its never Hokkaido mate. Its in Yamanashi or Gifu, they sometimes open in bloody October.

Kagura also stays open the lastest if you think about resorts and not tram areas. If you are talking tram areas you can slide all year in Tateyama although the pickings are freaking slim right now.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
Kagura also stays open the lastest if you think about resorts and not tram areas.

Kagura is also the first resort to open in Honshou with “natural” snow(yea right!).
Even in the last bad season, Kagura opened the main gelende on the 25th of November.
A pick from the weekend after the opening Dec 2nd.
tsondaboy_11.jpg