• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think I'll go with Functionality =)

I don't need to freeze my ButtCheeks off. Plus bling gets caught when you are ripping through Forests. (On playstation at least =)

Actually, the only thing I really wanna buy is some explorer socks (warm), and some good pants. I bought some boots on ebay for $1 heh heh (No-one else bidded (IS Pink a bad color? <-- Joke...)

Will look in Hakuba when I arrive in Feb for pants, although I assume things will be pricey?, in any case, it will be summer here when I leave, so i don't think "Budgie Smugglers" will be very comfortable...

Originally Posted By: Kumapix
dizzy tells me that his flow bindings wreck the heel of his boots...

i got no probs with my flows - is it a chunky heel of the boots that gets ripped by the base of the heel cup?

I gotta get Googles & Gloves as well..

Hi there,

Nothing wrong with old gear, last year I met a Hakuba Tsugaike local who was stoked with his recent 4000 yen purchase of a Sims Aaron Vincent snowboard - in really good condition from about 1998! It didn't seem to stop him floating fs 5s.

Rule 1) For total bargains: friends leaving the country, and recycle/second hand stores - the further away from ski resorts, the better.

Rule 2) For semi-bargains: search online (but know what you are looking for), and haggle more discount of stock that's older than last year's in shops.

Things to spend some money on, or get as good as you can (while still bargain hunting):

Goggles, socks and boots.

The latter could be expensive, but not necessarily - just get what really fits.

Goggles - look in outlet stores or online, they are so expensive to start with that they are often discounted (or talk to Dizzy ;\) )

cheap-ass ones they have in Alpen are not worth it - try enjoying snowboarding when you can't see. Look for less fashionable brands like Scott, Bolle or Cebe - all top quality goggles. Again, refer to rule 1.

Socks - wool kicks ass here. Nice and long for no wrinkles.

For gloves - you can get a great selection of waterproof spring gloves, like pipe gloves, and leather gloves from homestores in the building section. They are probably 10x stronger than snowboard brand ones too!

Combine with a nice warn mitt over the top and your stylin'.

Originally Posted By: Kumapix
if you rip it doesn't matter what you wear

Hell yeah.

Most snowboarder, especially in Japan, should be ashamed of the flair they rock without the ripping to back it up.

If I could really rip, I'd ride naked.
Thank god I'm rubbish! ha ha.

In the mid-nineties, we used to wear duct tape like a badge, and rock non-snowboard wear (i used to have a favoite Jacket- a safeway red quilted one, that the cart pushers used to wear in the winter)

i also made a kinda vow tonite. After this last pant purchase, i will limit the rest of my gear to either fixing old stuff, or buying used (the only exceptions being gloves, goggles, and boots)

Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi

Will look in Hakuba when I arrive in Feb for pants, although I assume things will be pricey?, in any case, it will be summer here when I leave, so i don't think "Budgie Smugglers" will be very comfortable...

Not pricey at all. You can, of course, pay top dollar if you choose. The market for snow gear here is a bit more competetive than Perth.

I wear budgie smugglers. Old bstards look ridiculous in board shorts, and I hate wetness flapping around my legs.
 Originally Posted By: AK 77

If I could really rip, I'd ride naked.
Thank god I'm rubbish! ha ha.

Aren't you concerned with the problem of drag?, You might leave a "trench" in your wake from your third leg =)

All joking aside, if anyone has some old clothes they want to sell, please let me know, I need a jacket & pants, and perth aint the place to buy them =)

(Please don't offer AK 77, I assume you like to "Freeball" in your jumpsuit =)

I have a pair of last years Sessions pants, used once, perfect condition, and way too stylish for me that i am willing to part with for 16000 yen.

07 Tinker, baggy fit, Recco system-friendly, fully taped seams, 10,000 waterproofing + 10,000 breathability

heres what they look like

n588515823_273772_2522.jpg

they are great pants. The only reason i am getting rid of them is because i am getting pants that zip into the liner of my Jacket.

Man, I remember my first time trying snowboarding. Wasn't sure I'd get into it so didn't want to buy any gear.

Went in 2 wooly jumpers with a kagoul over the top and a pair of purple waterproof trousers over tracksuit bottoms. They worked fine really. But its nice to have shiny gear even if its only gonna make a difference to a pro.

BTW did you see the new snowskirts some companies are putting on thier ladies wear? Super cute and perfect for Japanese snow bunnies me thinks \:D These might be quite popular here as they already love wearing skirts over trousers...

http://www.snowboard-mag.com/node/22989 (towards the bottom)

Snowskirts?, Like Astro Boys sisters? lol. Def a fashion thing.

How about mankini's for guys?, now that is a step up from the Budgie Smugglers.

Cheers Soub, thats more the sorta thing I am looking for, will keep my eyes open.

I have a lovely Husky Jacket (Dark BLue), but it has my Dept of Conservation logo on it =)

• 3 weeks later...