Stuff that is just brilliant in Japan (and you only really notice when you are out of Japan)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm sure that in the big cities there's a bit more crime than here in little old Kutchan. What amazes me also is that in a small country town in Australia there would most likely be plenty of vandalism and graffiti by disaffected youth with nothing better to do but here in Kutchan where there is still bugger all for the youth to do I have never seen any vandalism at all. If I go into a convenience store I can leave my car running with no fear of it not being there when I get out and I rarely lock up my house if I'm out.

Mantas the lack of crime here is mainly due to the lack of hard drug use I'd say. In Aus over 70% of all crime is drug related. Imagine what a different place Aus would be without the drug problems....

There is social cohesion too. People respect the community rules. With a relatively static population (something economists hate) everyone knows everyone in the neighbourhood.

There's an abandoned school near me. Closed for at least 10 years and all the windows are intact. They wouldn't have lasted a week in the UK or Oz.

The streets here are full of children as young as 4 roaming and riding their bikes as I used to do in the 1950s. You don't see that in the west.

\:\) Perhaps I'm just nostalgic for the flame wars of yester year! Everyone is so nice now! wave.gif

Service is one of the great things about Japan. It was a brutal culture shock occasionally going from that to Bond Street in London where the only way to get attention from the bitchy shop assistant was to walk out the door with the product and set off the alarm - it would usually take something like that to get a grudging "can I help you?"

HK is pretty good too. Usually very customer originated here too I've found.

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
\:\) Perhaps I'm just nostalgic for the flame wars of yester year! Everyone is so nice now! wave.gif

Service is one of the great things about Japan. It was a brutal culture shock occasionally going from that to Bond Street in London where the only way to get attention from the bitchy shop assistant was to walk out the door with the product and set off the alarm - it would usually take something like that to get a grudging "can I help you?"

HK is pretty good too. Usually very customer originated here too I've found.

RD,

Shop staff in Bond Street, Old Bond Street and much of Regent Street are from the continent whose service attitude is different to the grudging serfdom attitude that UK people still cannot shake.
 Originally Posted By: Go Native
Well I'm sure that in the big cities there's a bit more crime than here in little old Kutchan. What amazes me also is that in a small country town in Australia there would most likely be plenty of vandalism and graffiti by disaffected youth with nothing better to do but here in Kutchan where there is still bugger all for the youth to do I have never seen any vandalism at all. If I go into a convenience store I can leave my car running with no fear of it not being there when I get out and I rarely lock up my house if I'm out.

Mantas the lack of crime here is mainly due to the lack of hard drug use I'd say. In Aus over 70% of all crime is drug related. Imagine what a different place Aus would be without the drug problems....

GN can you tell us your address and exactly what time in the morning you drive to Seicomart.

geez you guys... cool.gif

The social cohesion thing is a good point. One big difference between here and Aus also is that there are no fences between houses (fences don't do too well in an area with average snowfalls in excess of 12m). Back in Aus the idea of seeing into your neighbours backyard from your backyard is practically unheard of which I believe helps to alienate people and hampers any feelings of community forming. Here the community feeling is alive and well. I guess in small country towns in Aus it may be similar but I've only ever lived in a country town whilst here in Hokkaido.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
For me the best thing of living up here in the rural north of Japan is there is virtually no crime at all. It's incredible the difference it makes living in a place devoid from all fear of crime.

Where I am in Rural NSW is great too, I never lose my car keys when I am home, they just stay in the ignition. I never feel threatened either, I must admit that was one of the best things about Hokkaido though it was much the same.
 Quote:
I rarely lock up my house if I'm out.

Even if there is little crime it seems silly not to - asking for trouble. I have heard of a few break-ins in my area, apparently it is very much on the increase.

3 1/2 years here and no burglaries yet. Like Go Native people here leave their cars running while they go into the shop. Not me. Our front door is never locked. Otherwise, how could a visitor come into the house?

BettyBoo. There aren't any burglars around here. Nor paedophiles. People here leave their houses unlocked and their children roam. That, to me, is freedom.

My lady locks the door even if I go out to the conbini, really pisses me off!

I still wouldn't leave my house open. Japan is safe but there's still bad shit happening and I can't afford to lose some of my stuff so i'll keep locking the door. It also stops the next doors baba chan from coming into our place my mistake!

Everyone is entitled to see me nude, not a pretty sight, so we don't get queues.

More seriously, I love to see children 5-6yo roaming on their bikes with insect nets. It's a trust which has been lost in the west. Here children are free, not cocooned. Maybe that's why they grow up to be responsible.

I don't know about the service not being personal. True it's less so than in other countries but in my local convenie they are pretty friendly, they know where I work and often ask me about it or about Mini MT.

Oh and takkubin rocks, especially when you have to carry a 9kg baby along with whatever else you buy. (Did I mention that there was no elevator...)

The lack of vandalism in Japan is a definite plus. Some of the places people live here are no better than low quality social housing in Britain, for example, but you don't get people scrawling graffiti everywhere, pissing in the lifts, or smashing up the bus stop like you do back home.