Extremely overweight people (the ones who inflict it on themselves)

You are absolutely right about things in moderation.

I can't take kids into macs for 2 reasons:

1) I don't want to show them that a big mac can be eaten in 3 bites.

2) I don't want them to see me freak out on seeing Roanald McMassmurderer.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never really been what anyone could call skinny and for the last 20+ years would definitely be classed as overweight, if not obese with a body weight in excess of 100kg.

During this time though I have climbed a 6000m+ peak in Bolivia, done ski mountaineering in India skiing peaks over 5000m, spent 2 months hiking throughout wilderness areas of Tasmania, completed the Annapurna circuit in Nepal, hiked extensively through Patagonia and Tierra Del Fuego, done weeks of backcountry skiing in Victoria and NSW, spent a season Heli Skiing in Canada, spent plenty of time rockclimbing at Arapalies, done canyoning in the Blue Mountains, lots of backcountry skiing around Niseko including winter ascents of Yotei...the list goes on and on.

In all this time I have never actually given a second thought to my diet or regularly exercised (I must be lazy and undiscliplined wink.gif ). I've certainly never had any idea of my calorie intake per day and never cared less about the 'body beautiful'. Still being overweight doesn't mean you can't have an incredibly exciting and active life so don't be too hard on us fat bastards wave.gif .

Originally Posted By: thursday
You are absolutely right about things in moderation.

I can't take kids into macs for 2 reasons:

1) I don't want to show them that a big mac can be eaten in 3 bites.
2) I don't want them to see me freak out on seeing Roanald McMassmurderer.

lol.gif

Thurs, it's not even frikkin Ronald here! They farked up and called him DONALD! Can you imagine my happiness when Donald visited their kindy and it wasn't quack quack farkin quack donald!!!! disgusting..

for all my talk about easting healthy, i succumb to fast food whenever i'm drunk or hungover.

once i went into macca's and ordered a pounder - ie a quarter pounder with 3 extra patties. if that isn't a heart attacked in a bun, i dn't know what is.

now that i'm sober, it's making me sick just thinking about it, but at the time we all thought it was the most hilarious thing ever

Macdonalds basic hamburgers don't actually contain that much fat, it's the fries, soft drinks and dressings on the bigger burgers that are high in calories. That doesn't mean they are good for you though, probably full of other junk.

I agree with BP and Indo, if Me Mini Tarzan wants McD's when he's older I think it will be better to educate him rather than forbid it. Same for alcohol and everything else. I plan on letting him drink watered down wine with meals if he wants it. They do that in France and Germany where there is more appreciation of good food and drink and less binge drinking than in the UK.

Go Native, its easy for us to judge and while you are putting more strain on your organs by maintaining that weight, probably no more so than the strain I put on my liver by getting slaughtered every weekend until I became a "responsible mother"!

As you are happy and comfortable with who you are and still manage to lead an active life, weight doesn't seem to affect you. I have a few overweight friends and aside from health & personal issues, they say it makes their life generally more difficult - especially for those in Japan. I mean things like fitting into economy airplane seats, chairlifts, buying clothes.

Do you find that kind of stuff stressful?

go on Jane, beat up on the fatties. "Aside from health and personal issues" what other issues are more important?

And have you noticed how people move away from large people when in an elevator.

Thursday, stop causing trouble ;\)

I meant that there are loads of things we do that cause health and personal issues so it's not a problem exclusive to being overweight.

Other things like the ones I was asking about are only a problem if you are fat, very tall or a midget.

(sorry not very p.c. terms ;\) )

Originally Posted By: thursday
vertically challenged

you really need to quit picking on BP \:D

>One of my friends (a triathlete) needs 3,500 to 4000 calories a day. He eats 5 means a day. It really is a hassle for him cos he always has to be so aware of his diet. If he misses a meal he loses weight!

In Uni Id say I was easily 4000-5000+. It was great having a tabehodai pass for food 7 days/week otherwise I woulda been in trouble. Sometimes teammates and I would head to the athletic dorm cafeteria and the boys in there ate like champions. Shocking. Actually pretty gross but they did get some good stuff catered a few times a week that we'd be sure to show up for \:\)

I know some fairly large people who eat quite healthily but dont exercise much. Then some people who eat like shite but excercise a lot. Must be hard being big. Have some friends back home who are big, but not obese.

Happy to see some airline companies charging 2 seats for extremely obese people. Lets face it, growing waist sizes are a direct cause of airline tickets increasing. One time flying, had a huuuge lady next to me. The fat spilled under the armrest and over it. That was disgusting...and extremely hot being next to her, she wouldnt quit sweating eek.gif

It's easy to see how people can have difficulties with being big/weight problems; but when youre just obese, I dont get why the brain doesnt go *bing* maybe I should try to lose some weight...But if youre already that obese then maybe people just dont give a .... anymore. Either way, kinda sad really.

Go Native

You sound a bit like Ray Mears, Britain's leading exponent of bushcraft and survivalism. He's always hiking all over the shop on the telly and making do with whatever nuts, roots and berries he finds. He's still a big lad with a bit of a gut though, survival rations or no survival rations.

According to BMI, Russell Crowe is obese, so make of that what you will.

My brother has a big beer gut from drinking and eating crisps and curries. He'd go for walks and stuff, but my sister-in-law has a bad back so they never really go very far. They're in Spain at the mo, so no doubt he'll come back fatter after all those tapas and jugs of sangria. He's funny as ferk though, so I wouldn't want him any other way.

Some of my mates here seem to be developing some alarmingly large beer guts the last few years. Mental note - beer gut not look good. Beer gut bad idea.

plus, beer guts are caused by fatty foods which you consume when drinking, and not by the beer itself.

i am living proof of this fact - i drink a six pack a night and i look like brad pitt. i just choose not to be a famous and highly paid celebrity, because i don't like the limelight

OK,

Obese kids file suit on Macs. Ridiculous

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,63698,00.html

"Where should the line be drawn between an individual's own responsibility to take care of herself and society's responsibility to ensure others shield her? The complaint fails to allege the McDonald's products consumed by the plaintiffs were dangerous in any way other than that which was open and obvious to a reasonable consumer,"

"Every responsible person understands what is in products such as hamburgers and fries, as well as the consequence to one's waistline, and potentially to one's health, of excessively eating those foods over a prolonged period of time"

what you should be aware of when you eat a Big Mac (540 calories)

http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.index1.html

thats classic wakaranai.gif Im doing a unit next semester with one group of kids on fast food and responsibility leading into watching Supersize Me. Not sure what kind of project Ill have em do yet but have been thinking of:

debate idea: sorry not project...want to teach debate basics to my kids

eating meat should be discouraged for our health, to help save the environment, and to stop the torture and slaughter of billions of innocent animals each year...bit heavy maybe eh?

advertisements of convenience food aimed at children under 15 years of age should be prohibited.

advertisements of convenience food should contain a clear statement of the dangers of the food to the health of the consumer.

fast food like McDonald's or pizza should not be served for lunch at high schools...which is often served in the US

sodas and sugared drinks should not be available to students from vending machines at school.

project 2 idea:

Send students to different fast food restaurants to ask to see information about the ingredients, calories and nutritional content of the food. They should report back about what they were told and what they found out.

project 3:

Have everyone in the class perform an inventory of what they eat in a typical day and then examine it in relation to what we have learned about what not to eat.

funny but Ive been working on this all day and thought it might be good to get some feedback from people.

Cheers