What happened to the off-course thing at Cortina?

Didn't there used to be some black diamond club (??) or something at Hakuba Cortina where people could go off course by signing something. I think it stopped but why so?

I really do fail to understand the Japanese attitude to off-piste skiing. I mean this is not a country with litigation problems so there's no real financial risk to the resorts. They really seem to go a bit overboard on some safety issues at times like what other country on earth has maximum speed limits on most roads of only 50km/h? But then kids seem to be able to jump around the backseat of a car or you see passengers holding a young child in their arms in the front seat which has got to be some of the most ridiculously dangerous practices around. No matter how long I live here I doubt I'll ever really understand Japanese thinking...

It's about personal vs. collective responsibility. The Organisation sets an oppressive rule (50 kph). It's not enforced and everyone ignores it. If you crash at 80 kph, The Organisation is not responsible.

This is Asia. I prefer Asian grey to Western black and white.

>This is Asia. I prefer Asian grey to Western black and white.

Until some paper driver with kids on her lap and using a keitai runs a red light and wrecks you and your car and the teeth sucking police allocate you 10% responsibility because, you know, nothing is black and white, and well, if you were driving carefully you would have been able to avoid the other car and well, being a gaijin, and well it's chotto...

Lots of great things about Japan and the Japanese, but the negligent (ineffective) nanny state thing is not one of them. Lots of other countries manage to work out how to use revolving doors but not the Japanese. Lots of other countries know how to use western toilets, but not the Japanese. In other countries escalators are a modern convenience but in Japan they're so deceptively dangerous that they require recorded warnings. Also, because they think people might be stupid enough to stick their hands into the closing doors of a lift/train/shop/ etc, they put cute cartoon warnings to keep everyone safe and happy. Perhaps the government ought to spend less time worrying about the revolving doors and more about nuclear safety and earthquake proofing the buildings.

Soubs - Asian grey is really nothing more than Asian ineffective governance. Have you noticed that the more authoritarian the government, the more draconian the laws and the less effective they are at achieving their intended purpose? Asian countries have made an artform out of this.

I'm clever enough to know that to debate with a lawyer, Rag-Doll, is to loose. I'm stupid enough to try.

This isn't a nanny state. In Oz, I couldn't change a tap washer or a light bulb. The LAW requires a plumber or an electrician. In the UK, my brother (a builder) can't use a ladder more than 2 steps high. Here you can and there you can't. Those are nanny states.

Here it's the Wa. Anything is possible as long as you don't piss off your local community. I've never lived in a freer society.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
I notice "Safety Warnings" on toilets and bathrooms, so it doesn't really surprise me that they are safety mad. (Why aren't they at the nuclear power stations?!)

I'm sure they have all the same safety signs at the nuclear facility

"Warning, do not hand your dip into pool of radioactivenesses"

But does anyone follow them? Take for example this sign...how many Japanese have you seen ignore this on a daily basis...
not-feel-well-get-drunk.jpg

Cortina actually does Avie controls and they do get avalanches. That isnt why they changes the rule they changed it because the image of the resort was becoming extreme. Mags were talking about how challenging the trees and courses were and so they thought families were staying away. The trees at cortina and the snow at cortina can be awesome. If you know where to look you can find cliff drops, Long runs into town, pillows 50 degree stuff and chutes. Some areas are patrolled heavily and some arent.

TBH I agree with Rag-Doll. I love Japan, there are many things that make it unique and interesting (thats why I came back), but the Asian-Grey as you put it Soubs is not one of those things. I find a lot of these laws and rules are actually pretty naive and, as what happened in western countries, it will take a dreadul accident to change them.

I agree that the UK is becoming a nany state, but its a different kind of nanny state to the one which Japan is.

As a matter of interest, why can't your brother in law use ladders that have more than 2 steps?

The two step ladder thing is a funny one....

Here in OZ you can't use a three step ladder because you are not allowed to stand on the top or second from the top step of a ladder so effectively on a 900mm high ladder you are only able to use the first step, as the first step is useless for pretty much anything they completely banned the three step ladder from commercial sites.

Ladders higher than that can be used but the user must maintain three points of contact at all times....ie two feet and one hand so basically you are forced to work one handed if you are playing by the rules.

Safety elves get nuttier and nuttier every year.

Soon I understand that safety glasses, gloves,long sleeve shirts (year round) and long pants (again year round)will also be mandatory on commercial construction on top of the usual hardhats,ear muffs/plugs etc.

They love PPE while serious safety concerns like trip hazards,lack of edge protection and dangerous substances used incorrectly go unnoticed.

PPE. I'd forgotten that. Do you work for the CSIRO halfmachine?

Here, you are expected to take responsibility for you own safety. In the west it is always someone elses responsibility, and the blame culture is killing individual freedom.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
cortina didnt change management they changed policy. CB ill show you cortina again.

sounds good mate.

On a side note, when ger, BP and I were rafting down the Yoshino our guide was a patrol at Goryu. Good bloke.