OK so here's a nice story.

My four year old 42 inch plasma Sony tv broke earlier this week. The display stopped working. Happily I had taken out 10 year guarantee when I got it. So I called up the shop I bought it from and they got some Sony dude to call me.

Anyway, said Sony dude came to the house the next day. Very friendly he was. To my surprise Sony dude brought a new display that I could use while mine was getting fixed and started to take the old one away. As he was doing that though he called up his office and was talking to them for a while and I was wondering what was going on. He turned to me and asked if I wouldn't mind accepting a brand new, top of the line 46 inch full hi-vision Bravia x-series LCD tv!!!! I said, er, duh!...... and this evening they came here and installed it.

This one in fact, going for 345000 yen on amazon:

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/bravia/products/index.cfm?PD=25296&KM=KDL-46X2500

I now have a brand new top of the current line humungous incredibly sexy looking tv. Total cost to me = not a yen. They've given me 3 years guarantee on the new one too.

\:D \:D \:D

So I'm feeling the love for Sony right now.

Nice one.....Usually, those warrenties are a bad deal when you add up the payments, consider the repair or maintance costs and the DCF associated with the upfront payment. But it sounds like it worked out well for you - although, I tend to like plasma over LCD - i'll stick with my Panasonic....(1 year warranty only).

My 10 year warranty added 4000 yen to the original cost of my setup.

I had not considered LCDs before. All I know is this new one I have here now has a noticeably better picture than my plasma. It looks incredle. I suppose it should do being the top of the range.

And it cost me nothing. \:D

Pretty nice gesture.

The old plasma screens from Sony were OEMed from poeple like Fujitsu. Old technology that Sony no longer license. So.... no more spare parts, dump it.

Nice new TV though, and good to hear from a happy Sony customer.

I was actually very shocked myself.

I was initially expecting them to take away the display, be without the tv while they have it for 2 weeks and then just bring it back fixed. But I go so much more. Whatever the story (they did say they couldn't replace it and they don't do plasmas any more), I've ended up getting so much more than what I had.

I've been playing around with it a fair bit today and getting used to it. A considerably better picture than my plasma I am very impressed. The colour contrast is amazing....... almost too bright! The plasma was also prone to getting screen-burn or whatever you call it when images were left on the screen when they had been stationary for a short while. There's none of that with this one. The terrestrial channels look totally different (and so so much better) than the analogue versions I was putting up with before. Not that I watch them so much. We just need SkyPerfect to go fully hi-vision now.

(Went to the electric store this afternoon to pick up an hdmi cable, the tv was "on sale" there for 430,000 yen. Bargain!)

In this case it sounds like you got an EXCELLENT deal.

a 4000 yen investment in a 10 year warranty has a FV of roughly 6,516 yen.

Since it was really invested for 4 years until you actually used it, the number goes down slighly to 4,864.

Assuming the price of your original Plasma was about 345,000 and was used for 4 years (we'll depreciate it over 5 years), it would have a residual value of 69,000.

So we'll add the residual value and the FV of your investment in the warranty to get 73,864.

Now assuming this TV is brand new and has an MSRP of 345,000

you saved a total of 271,136 on the deal - AWESOME!

If you say so SirJibAlot! lol.gif What might an FV be anyway? I think your calculations may be a little off though as I actually had the tv for 3 years and 10 months.

No need to worry though, here's the maths I used to work out my feelings on the deal:

Broken 4 year old telly.

Get brand new, top of line + bigger telly.

Cost is nothing.

= well pleased (and still shocked).

After summer I'll be buying a hi-vision hdd/dvd player I reckon.

I heard that LCD telly's are better as the Plasma ones are prone to the burn-out thingy you described and also the plasma tube thing can break and there is no replacement, just bin the tv, whereas the LCD one doesn't have these probs. Anywway, lucky bugger, free giant LCD tv

My plasma was great but was nearly 4 years old plasma technology. This new screen is definitely better. It is brighter, sharper, bigger and none of the burn out issues (though it didn't particularly bother me). Incredible image it is. I'm well chuffed.

My plasma was great but was nearly 4 years old plasma technology. Until Sony told me I was getting this replacement I didn't really know anything about LCD. But this new screen is definitely better. It is brighter, sharper, bigger and none of the burn out issues (though it didn't particularly bother me). Incredible image it is. I'm well chuffed.