I used to go to Hotham when I lived in Melbourne, and stole a couple of days at Perisher when on business in Canberra. From Perth, though, it's just not worth it. A lot of money for dodgy snow. Better to go to New Zealand or Japan.

One of the Perisher trips was funny. I flew from Perth to Cairns for a conference, so I took a suit and my diving gear. Then on to Mt Isa for some fieldwork, so I needed my boots and field gear. Then to Canberra for meetings, so I had full winter kit too. My suitcase was packed pretty tight. There can't be too many people who've been SCUBA diving on the Barrier Reef one week, and skiing the next.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My last post sounded like I was totally bagging OZ snow. It CAN actually get quite good. Very good in fact. It just doesn't happen very often. Maybe one or two days a season. Things like huge crowds and really expensive tickets and accommodation, park entry fees ect. take the gloss of it a bit too.

I think the media hype this year has been way over the top, listening to them you would think its the 2000 season all over again (200o was awsome). Its been good but as I said average at best.

I don't mind however as I have two properties at Falls Creek so its good for bookings.

After last season, who can blame the PR people for hyping it up.

Even in crappy seasons, the snow reports on the TV always make it sound a lot better than it really is... some of the reports I've seen before have been outright lies, I couldn't believe they were being delivered with a straight face.

In Scotland, the "resorts" are:

Glenshee (The biggest in area)

Glencoe

Nevis Range and

The Cairngorms

I've only been to Glenshee and Glencoe. Both when the weather is right has good boarding, but more often than not in recent years its pretty grim

Great pic Soubs. Dunno If I could handle that amount of snow on a daily basis, ie having to trudge thru it to get to work etc. How does that affect the trains? Presumably they get cleared but are there many delays in Winter due to covered tracks?

TB. Sometimes the shinkansen gets stopped, but very rarely. There's a snowplough train, and all the points are heated.

We are geared up for it. The local authorities are well equipped and very experienced. Everyone drives AWD with winter tyres. 50cm in the night causes no significant disruption, unlike the chaos that 5cm causes in the UK.

hahaha, yeah. Its snows just a wee bit and the whole country grinds to a halt!!

If the buses are put off then the schools close which is great if you are a pupil or member of staff. Didn't happen last year though \:\(

I remember being a kid though and we'd get a few days off each year because of the snow, 1 year it was waist deep, think it was about 1993. Great fun when you are a 13 yr old kid!!!

Tubby - yeah, I remember one of the kids at school calling the local radio station after a minor snowfall, pretending to be the headmaster and saying that school was out for the day, when of course it wasn't. By the time the 'announcement' had been retracted on local radio the whole day was a write off anyway. The guy was instantly a hero

I knew this kid who didn't want to sit an exam in the afternoon, so when he went home for lunch, he phoned the cops and told them there was a bomb in the school, but his mum shouted at him while he was on the phone..."DOUGLAS GAULD GET AFF THAT PHONE!!!"

Ha ha ha, so the cops promptly nipped round his house and nicked him, they still had to search the school though just to be sure

• 2 weeks later...