The FOOTBALL Thread (2007-2008)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Capello is also against the ref-baiting so I think we will see it start to leave the game.

It was obvious Mascherano was gonna get sent off, I guess it makes amends for the Inter Milan game where their man was unlucky to go.

TBH it can only be a good thing in the long run that players stop harrassing the refs. It'll take a glut of yellow and reds getting thrown about then the players will get the message.

Sometimes it kinda adds to the interest, other times it is highly irritating such as when players dive and hold up the game pretending to be injured.

If Cappelo stops picking players who do it then that will also sort out at least the English players. Will be interesting to see if he goes for Gerrard or Terry as his captain, Gerrard is surely the better role model though it seems Terry is the more natural leader. I think Gerrard's England form would pick up as captain (because he would have more freedom) and that could help turn things around.

Well, I'm not happy! Chelsea sneaking up and doing that is just not acceptable.

That Liverpool guy was a total plonker. What I want to know is - where was Gerrard? Surely it is his job (and his team-mates to a lesser extent) to stop a rampaging idiot like him before it got to that... anyone watching the game saw it coming from 15 minutes before he got sent off. And Rafa. Why didn't he warn his team beforehand about a) Bennett and B) what happened last week. Not doing so is a huge mistake. You can be sure Fergie was blasting that into his guys before the game. Rafa - shut up you idiot, stop defending him.

Liverpool were rubbish before then anyway.

Alonso pulled him away before he got the 2nd yellow card but he kinda gave up as if he knew nothing could get Masche out of his blind rage. Gerrard did finally show up to get Masche to leave the pitch and was more forceful than the others but perhaps was a little late on the scene given that as you say anyone could see it coming from a mile off.

I agree that it looks like Fergie warned them about this and Benitez didnt.

Just noticed Cappello saying that he didnt pick Beckham in the first game because he hadn't been playing any games, and yet he has picked Peter Crouch for this team. Crouch must have played maybe 30mins football over the last 6 weeks?

Nah, i don't really like Fergie, I think he's an arrogant p#@&k.

His track record is good, no denying it. Did well at Aberdeen before he went to Man U, took his time to get things right down there but he's doing well.

He is a great manager, one of the best ever. But he needs to win the champions league again before he retires. Considering how long he has been there and the size of the club, they should have won it 3 times really to be satisfied.

Seems Becks is back with his 100th cap tonight. So he got it at last. It will be interesting to see how he performs now, not as if he has played much of late.

I see Rio is captain, coz he's "nicer" than John Terry.

Quote:
Sportsmail understands that a picture of Terry's £150,000 Bentley parked in a disabled bay in Esher, Surrey, last week counted against him in the final reckoning.

Capello said: "A captain must be an example to follow in training and a leader during the game. I would also hope he would be an example, a role model, outside the game and in life.

"That's very important. Not just for the England captain, but for everything we, as sportsmen, show youngsters. I wasn't put under any pressure (by the FA) and all the decisions I have made — technical or otherwise — have been my own decisions.

"We need to be role models when we play for England and when we play for our clubs. Part of this involves fair play and respect towards the referee and the public who come to see the games. In that respect, we need to get back something we may be losing a bit. They are my choices. I've got my own eyes, I can see things and I can understand things for myself.

Good thing is that this new manager really does seem to be serious about shaking up some of these players. Even if he has recalled Becks.

I was thinking that, but if the manager retires him after that then I will be very disappointed (with the manager for giving him the game in the first place).

It irritates me that Crouch doesn't play more often. Kuyt is crap, lets face it. Torres and Crouch should be awesome together up front, if we played a 442.

It was a great game to be at, Liverpool had a decent spell in the 2nd half for 5 minutes or so but apart from that I think United were in charge.

Fergie is without question the best. ever. football. manager. God, in fact. ;\)