Allright....

I want you to take in alot of different factors before you cast your vote including-

Snow quality/quantity

Accessibility, short hikes in/out only

Safety (snowpack,cliffs,creeks) reasonably accessible for upper intermediates

Competition (the rat race factor)

Obliging ski patrol mandatory

add in any other factors you wish also!

You can keep your secret stashes to yourself...broad answers will be fine! ;\)

Variety and lift access nothing beats .......in nagano

For Hiking into nothing beats ...............in Nagano

For traverse outs multi laps ................in Nagano

My answers are well documented within these forums

All together now! K-A-R-G-U-R-A. One more time! KARGURA!

With bugger all hiking, the Big K offers a full day of lift serviced tree runs on good snow with the blessings of local patrol. With a bit of hiking, there is a range of hills that will take you back into the resort. Minimum avie danager, well spaced trees etc. Some of the lift runs are cool too. All under 2 hours from Tokyo.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Same as Fatts,

My views have not changed.

I knew Thurs was a Hakuba lover and a Niseko hater ;\)

Me, Nagano and Niigata for sick terrain

Niseko, Rusutsu, and Teine for some chilled wide open meadows...Im a closet Niseko lover \:D

Hey fatts, nagano has the biggest lines in Japan, as well as the most above treeline... you can't have it all. Trees are trees, man. I have never even seen a tree in your way in any of your shots from down there!

Nagano is how skiing should be, but tree-skiing is what we do when open faces don't exist.

Originally Posted By: samurai
Hey fatts, nagano has the biggest lines in Japan, as well as the most above treeline... you can't have it all. Trees are trees, man. I have never even seen a tree in your way in any of your shots from down there!

Nagano is how skiing should be, but tree-skiing is what we do when open faces don't exist.

Samurai, theres tons of tree skiing in Nagano...example Hakuba, Shiga, Nozawa and all have sick terrain too...if you havent hit trees around there youre missing out!!
 Originally Posted By: samurai
this past winter??? Zao. But I'm showing no locals anything. If you are a visitor, I will be happy to stoke you out.

If I am ever down that way I will be sure to hit you up....
Hell I would even buy lunch! thumbsup.gif

samurai Hakuba has it all but my favorite lift access trees arent in hakuba. my favorite hiking trees are though 1500 vertical feet at an average 35 degrees or more. Mate you have to come here and ill pop your eyes out of your skull.

Thursday 20 degree trees dont count, RG kagura is nice but a bit too flat.

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
All together now! K-A-R-G-U-R-A. One more time! KARGURA!

With bugger all hiking, the Big K offers a full day of lift serviced tree runs on good snow with the blessings of local patrol. With a bit of hiking, there is a range of hills that will take you back into the resort. Minimum avie danager, well spaced trees etc. Some of the lift runs are cool too. All under 2 hours from Tokyo.

I thought Kagura might have got cancelled out due to the competition factor??

Kargura is popular but most of the trees are roped off which I reckon must keep a few people out.

FT, fair point, Kargura isn't the steepest place around. Still fun though.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
samurai Hakuba has it all but my favorite lift access trees arent in hakuba. my favorite hiking trees are though 1500 vertical feet at an average 35 degrees or more. Mate you have to come here and ill pop your eyes out of your skull.

Thursday 20 degree trees dont count, RG kagura is nice but a bit too flat.

I have a combined weight of 1500... stacked on top of each other.. without hiking. Short ins and outs. But I break 35 degrees, easily. In areas, you've got to race your sluff... in tight trees. There are two sections that are strictly Hit or Miss. You either nail your line for 500 vert or billy-goat behind your sluff. And hitting it means tronning.

We check beacons in prep for trees. And we're alone. And if I remember correctly, Nagano/hakuba was complaining about their coverage while we spent the winter bragging about our snow. Lattitude matters.

So.. all in all... we have consistent goods that require you to pay consistent attention. Often tree-skiing is affiliated with porpousing around in the pow. That's not Zao. There are places you can do that... But if you like to open them up in environments that have consequences, PM me. Zao is not a big-mountain arena. And for that, it cannot compete with Hakuba. However, if you rip, and don't make mistakes, the place rocks. And I'll remind the readers that there is zero competition for these lines.

Fatts knows I want to live down south. But I will give credit to a place that took me 2 winters to learn.