FEATURE - Gala Experience (Work experience at GALA Yuzawa resort)

• SnowJapan Moderator

A new Feature, "Gala Experience", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-gala-experience.html

"Lawrence Ly has just spent this last winter season working at the GALA Yuzawa snow resort in Yuzawa town, Niigata Prefecture. We spoke to him to find out more about his experience working at a Japanese ski resort."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-gala-experience.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here...

good for him, man. Not many people get the opportunity to work at resorts in Japan, mainly because of the language thing. It's good to see snowboard bums seeking something more than just snow and beer... like the resorties back home tend to be characterized.

hi guys,

I'm the guy that helped write that article

Season is pretty much over.

Just doing inventory work and preparing Rental for next year.

I'm still in Japan till the 15th May.

And I would like to thank the editor of Snow Japan for the opportunity to post my experience at Gala.

Thanks again guys.

awesome article. interesting to get a peak inside the life of the folks behind the counter. I wish I could have done something like that when I was younger, instead I was wasting my time surfing in Hawaii...oh well....

What did the staff do on all those days this season that Gala didn't open due to (existant or non-existant) winds? There must have been quite a number of those, I remember a fair few myself from the now reports.

invisibleman - if it was a day off we would get a 3 park resort life pass and go to the other ski resorts like Yuzawa Kogen or Ishiuchimaruyama. But yeah those windy days sucked. Even when there was no wind at all that day they would close the resort. I guess management was scared.

machine - i recall only 3 gaijin. Me, my friend Nancy and another girl from Korea that worked at Information. There was also this other gaijin who worked for a short while as snowboard instructor but left in January or something.

Quote:
Even when there was no wind at all that day they would close the resort. I guess management was scared.

Curious. If there was no wind, how did they get to decide to close - it was in the forecast or something??

\:\)

Sounds like those days off were a lot of fun... you must have got a fair bit of snowboarding in for the season - how good did you get?

klingon - yeah they were wind forecasts, there is like a weather monitoring station up on the mountain

nagoid - I started at Gala as a complete snowboard noob. By the end I was getting into ground tricks and park jumps etc.

It is pretty much spring here in Yuzawa. Most of the snow is gone. Few of the staff went up to the ski resort via car the other day through IshiUchiMaruYama and had a last snowboarding trip. This was when the resort was closed so no body up there. \:\)