So anyone recommend any interesting movie commentaries on dvds. I have a lot that I haven't seen/listened to yet because they are so hit and miss. Sometimes they are really interesting while others it is just actors saying 'I really like this scene'.

I think the best one I have listenred to was The Thing (John Carpenter) and the Lord of the Rings ones.

I've started a few and given up they seem to be very hit and miss.

The Spinal Tap one is funny though, and I believe also in Dobly which is definitely a bonus.

The one over the Exorcist was interesting too.

I think you've got to give it more than 2 minutes there though spook. ;\)

They can be interesting. As someone who loves Shawshank the movie, it was very interesting to hear a lot of background about it in the commentary.

I enjoyed the King Kong one as well.

I can imagine Spinal Tap is funny - I know some of the extras on that dvd were as good as scenes that made the movie. I haven't seen some of the recent Christopher Guest movies but really want to. I think the latest one is called For Your Consideration (?)

The new Roger Moore commentaries on the Bond DVDs are definitely worth a listen for Bond fans. They get less relevant as the films go on, with Roger going off at tangents (and seemingly almost embarrassed about Moonraker) but make for a really good listen/watch.

Good directors commentaties worth listening to (really helps if you like the movies!):

Peter Jackson

Frank Darabont

John Carpenter

All three have been mentioned by other people. Coz they are good.