Had my annual medical check up today courtesy of work, but along with making me feel like a factory line robot with another 80 odd people in the room, dressed in the stock standard blue uniform and slippers, the nurse made us skull a cup of that barium stuff. It felt like a cup of goo-ey lead.

They then put us on this rotating trolley thing, taking x-rays as i rolled around on the tray. I assume was to swish the barium around inside the digestive system. Bit of a wierd `medical` and something that I`ve never had in Oz.

Anyone had anything like that back in their home countries or is it just another `only in japan` thing??

never had (nor heard of) anything like that ever. Touch wood I stay healthy till the day I kark it.

45mins laying motionless in a MRI machine while it hummed away was boring enough, but that sounds thoroughly unpleasant.

Stomach cancer is relatively common in Japan, so the barium meal is probably a Japan-only thing, and cheaper than sending all the employees for gastroscopy, which is the test more commonly used in Australia. It would never be part of an annual medical check-up here.

Yes, they roll you around to let the Barium swish around in the stomach, and the X-ray pics show the lining of the stomach, and any tumours or ulcers that might be there.

OK - would be interesting to see the x-rays are like.

That Annual medical reminded me of a factory line - standard clothes for each of the patients, give them a number, churn them in, churn them through, quick scan through of the results and it's back to the desk you go there thanks Mr Salaryman 67

It's been around at least since the early 1960's. Me mum used to be a darkroom technician in an X-Ray department, and it was a relatively common procedure for imaging the stomach and bowels.

The guys in here at work said that they've made the barium a lot 'tastier'.... wonder how bad it must have been????

I failed those tests two years running and had to do the ol' endoscope down the throat. The tube is quite thick and in my case, the screen was right next to my face. The camera cleans itself so you get a very clear image of your innards. As well as a good whiff of them. The whole experience is quite unpleasant, to put it mildly.

In my case, the doc didn't find anything. She said the valve at the top of my stomach must just be too loose for the barium to work properly.

• 2 months later...

I had complete medical checkup this morning.

My body size hasn't changed, \:\)

my blood pressure is way too low as usual...

I had muscle injection and barium for X-ray of the stomach.

"Muscle injection for X-ray of the stomach??"

I've never heard this before and it's so painful... have to go to work now... \:\(

you should try cigarettes to get that bp up.

I had a caravan come to our place of work and all the staff lined up just the same as told here. I'm sure the tests are meaningful, but I really hate mass-population medical screening.

Kind of reminded me of the japanese work ethic, "I have to come in on Saturday, so all of you do too." "I have to have a medical scan, so all of you do too."

And to be honest, no I don't really appreciate it. I would much rather do it on my own time. I'll decline the next one. I'm really growing to hate, downright hate, going to doctors and clinics in this country. Oops, that's a WHOLE other thread.

I trust doctors sometimes.

They did great job when my dad had a brain surgery in Tokyo and my nephew's eye surgery in Stanford.

They are healthy and have happy life now. \:\)

Highly recommended, and I take it because work pay for it..

"Oops, that's a WHOLE other thread."

Samurai - don't open that can of worms!! that one or anything on the dental industry over here...Yet to meet a Japanese doctor / dentist I've been happy with and I'm one of the most injury prone people I know.