I have seen a number of towns and cities in Germany over the last week and all have displayed the first natural, warm and tasteful Christmas decorations that I have seen in 34 years.

I couldn't care either way about xmas, but I take my hat off to the Germans for their ability to generate true seasonal community atmosphere and use decorations that are what we all imagined when we were little kids. Quite unlike the Corporation of London's Christmas decorations, which a few years ago depicted cartoon characters from the latest Hollywood animated movie (I shit you not).

Pity its almost 16 degrees here and not blanketed in snow like it was this time last year.

Quote:
Originally posted by db le pu:
I have seen a number of towns and cities in Germany over the last week and all have displayed the first natural, warm and tasteful Christmas decorations that I have seen in 34 years.

and the whole christmas tree tradition started in good old Deutschland! A gift to Queen Victoria I think, but may be wrong.

Used to have a real tree in the house every year when was at home, we would get it from a farm near by, always a norweigan spruce! The smell of it every night as you come in the door from school was great, you knew crimbo was around the corner. (that along with the needles sticking in your feet!!)

We always get a real pine tree for the one or so months involving Christmas – besides the lovely perfume of pine, rather than body-odour during 40C temperatures, it’s the sense of power in killing a micro-ecosystem, whilst adding to the greenhouse effect, which truly stimulates a sense of warmth and hope in the global brotherhood during this festive season.

We also enjoy the one or so months of exterminating all the crawlies that come in with the tree, and a few who decide to make it their new (very temporary) home. (One year I was up a ladder placing the mandatory star on top, holding the tree to give some balance, when a large piece of bark near my hand quivered. I took a closer look and it was a farking enormous mouse spider! Needless to say, it was dispatched following some hectic antics.)

The additional benefits of a real tree at Chrissy includes the end-of-season burning, nothing like the noxious thick brown smoke given off by a highly flammable pine tree.

Ahh, the festive season … such fun for the whole family.

I can't be bothered putting ours up....what's the point? I'll just have to take it down again in a few weeks time.

Plus it is a constant reminder that i'm going to have to go christmas shopping sometime in the near future \:\/

I go to my kids school christmas carols on Friday. I cant' wait to stand there is the sweltering heat and listen to the kids sing "dashing through the snow" and "then one fogggy christmas eve" ect. lol.gif

Next weekend we are all going to a beach xmas party. Every year we do this at semi remote location. Last year Santa was a 22 year old german backpacker that arrived in the back of a 4wd ute.!!

( not quite Bing Crosby's dream of a White Christmas ay ?.)

After he handed out the kids presents he disappeared into the sand hills, came back in his board shorts , grabbed his board and went for a surf! The best thing was his 'little helper' a bikini babe with a body to die for. eek.gif

Crimbo? I dont even want to google that its sounds connected criminals, of all the Xmas or chrissy shortenings, Crimbo sounds the worst.

My son loves the Christmas tree more than life itself at the moment, he was nagging for weeks to put it up now its up he molests it decorations daily.

I miss the 6 foot pinus radiata that is the NZ Xmas tree,

if i ever have a place of my own, i am going to plant a pine and decorate it old-school in the winter, with candles (of course, i will be living somewhere with LOTS of snow and starting a forest fire should not be a concern)

Screw both the yearly killing of a tree AND the artificialness of plastic trees.

I feel there is generally less Christmas mood going on this year here in the UK. The shops seem to be barer than usual, they aren't going as overboard as they have done in the past. Hard to explain. Just doesn't seem as Christmassy for some reason.