Quote:
Plucky, are you sure people are really jealous of your gas-guzzling American Jeep?
I've actually had quite a few offers for it from Germans. It is fairly unique over here and good for the winters.

I bought the Jeep in Hawaii with a soft top (perfect vehicle there), shipped and stored it in Oregon while I was in Japan and then drove it from Oregon up to Alaska where it again was the perfect vehicle for the situation. The company offered to send it over to Germany at no cost to me which is way better than buying a new car on the economy when re-settling. I'll probably sell it after this winter and pick up something much more fuel-efficient this coming summer. However, it is getting around 25 mpg which isn't too shabby for American vehicles these days. I only drive it to work and back home as I can walk to do all of my shopping where I live. Any big trips I take are via train which I love to travel on.

spud is correct - people drive crazily over here considering the gas prices. Driving to work every morning is a game of leap frog for most people. Cars passing each other and re-passing while going well over the speed limit. Even in my slower-than-normal jeep, I always end up behind the wannabe F-1 racers at the next stop sign or light. For so many green initiatives in this country and claims of environmental responsibility, a lot of shit is so backwards as it is a bit incomprehensible to this Auslander. People just don't seem to give a rats ass about their wasteful driving practices - especially on the Autobahn. Is it really necessary to drive 200 kph on a two lane highway clogged by trucks and packed to the gills with traffic? It's almost like a birthright to the citizens in the Fatherland and any discussion concerning change is quickly dismissed.

Ah yes, but back to the weather. We got a total of around 2 inches of snow but it is already starting to slowly melt. It was a beautiful drive through the forest to work this morning, however. cool.gif
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plucky - you should try driving in Italy, its the biggest thing that puts me off hanging out there: they go just as fast as Germans except have none of the orderly precision and coordination of German drivers. In Italy they are flat out fast and aggressive and 1 inch from your bumper serving around and flashing their lights. The driving is testosterone immaturity at its best (sorry to any Italians, you are all very cool dudes until you get in a car). And this all happens at 180-200kph on a jam packed freeway. It makes German driving seem fast and sedate in comparison.

Agree about train travel, I have done several 4-5 hour trips here and it is great fun. But wow, its expensive. More expensive than flying the same distance in 1 hour. There is a train here that takes cars and people. Load up the car, traverse the country then drive off at the other end.

Weather today is still cold, no snow here though.

The weather here is near perfect, for work anyway. 27 degress dry and clear blue skies.

I'd post a pic but dont know how.

We are looking for a new car after the Skyline got nicked 2 weeks ago. The coppers found it after it was used by the little scrotes in a high speed chase. The cops had no chance of catching it of course but it was abandoned later. I dont want it now its had such a flogging.

We are going to do "our bit" for the environment (and pockets) and get a high efficiency diesel next.

5.5L/100kms and few emissions.

They just cost more to begin with.

Apparently we had about 10cm of snow in town last Sunday, but we were in Bali, swimming, snorkelling and cycling.

There's plenty of snow in the mountains now, and looking good for an early start to the season.

The villa was nice.

simg1636kl6.jpg