• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah was handling it ok but the sweep was incredibly strong and the direction too south to get really good up here.

I was going to go out but watched it for 1hr and only 2 waves ridden. The solid 6ft closeout straight of the jump off rock made it a very hard task!

Hey Indo, I'm right at Izu peninsula, eastern Shizuoka. Surfed near Shizuoka city in a place called Omaezaki today and it was pretty disappointing. It looks like the real party will be Saturday when the typhoon is slightly in the north. The forecast now is for 4m and off shore... if that happens then this long wait will be worth it... still debating about work tomorrow as it may be going off then too!

Yeah, there are quite a few of those... and 4m is definitely too big for Omaezaki. The swell is mostly coming from the east so Shizunami will catch a lot of it. I actually surf quite a lot in Izu so I'll probably be sticking with that. Maybe you know Usami near Ito? That place can hold a massive swell and is usually protected from the wind (it also takes a big swell to get it working properly)

Still undecided about work tomorrow... might drive down early early and see what is happening. That way I can make it back in time if it's no good or stay and call in sick from the beach wink

BTW, I love Omaezaki when it's working properly. I was down there last month scoring overhead beauties just two days after getting back from Bali... it was like I didn't miss a beat.

Hope you score BM. Love to see some photos up if you do.

I just bought a 7'6". The biggest board I've ever owned. I took it out the other day in 3-4 foot surf.... Man is it hard to duck dive. The thing just wont stay down.

Cheers Mantas! I sometimes ride a 7'6" as well and have the same problem. Just out of interest sake why did you decide to buy a bigger board? I rounded out my quiver this year with the purchase of a 5'11" fish. Now I've got almost all my bases covered with a 9'6", 9'0", 7'6", 6'5" and 5'11"...

Getting serious with the nine footers mate. Where do you ride them?

My previous gun was 7'2". There have been a few times when I just couldn't get onto the waves. No excuses now.

My current quiver. 6'6", 6'8", 7'2", 7'6"

Sheesh! That's a big gun mantas!

My biggest is 7'2 which was out last week but it was built for Indo so it is pretty sharp.

At the mo' My quiv is 6'0 fish, 6'3, 6'5, 6'6, 6'10 & 7'2.

Never ride the 6'3 & trying to get rid of the 6'5 as it has been made redundant! 6'10 is a hybrid/fun board and really want to replace it with a similar shape to my Emery 6'6.

I am guessing BM has those monsters for those regular 2ft days that Japan has so many of!

Yeah Indo you are exactly right! If I didn't have longboards I wouldn't be surfing all that much here. TBH, I kind of enjoy taking out the 9'6" when it gets really big... it's a Balsa wood board that was given to me as a gift! It's also designed to handle big wave Hawaii so does really well on bigger days.

Ended up going to work today because the winds were still too strong. All signs point to some sweetness tomorrow and Sunday. I'll be sure to snap a few picks if I get out long enough!

Well the morning wasn't as good as it could have been because of a high high tide. By lunch time it started to really pick up. By 2 pm we had double overhead close outs at the beach break and head/overhead high waves at the reef. Three sessions in the water with three different boards! Very good afternoon and looks like more of the same for tomorrow! Sorry I didn't take any photos but my friend did so I'll see if I can get them off him.

I cycled down the coast to Oiso yesterday and was hoping you got out BM!! The waves were huge!! Big barrels with hardly anyone riding them, a surfer mate of mine said that it was the best waves he's ever seen round here.

soz mate I didn't have my camera out yesterday. Today the waves were a bit more mellow and loads of people were out riding them. Some pretty big looking ones but nothing on yesterday. Speaking to a couple of my mates who surf and they all agreed that yesterday's waves were as epic as they've ever seen it here. Hardly anyone riding them (as it seems the locals are too scared when the decent swells roll in) and the surfers who were out were mostly Gaij.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Well the morning wasn't as good as it could have been because of a high high tide. By lunch time it started to really pick up. By 2 pm we had double overhead close outs at the beach break and head/overhead high waves at the reef. Three sessions in the water with three different boards! Very good afternoon and looks like more of the same for tomorrow! Sorry I didn't take any photos but my friend did so I'll see if I can get them off him.

BM, Did you come out here to Usami? I couldn't get in the water at all as I had some important business meetings. Sunday fell right off and there was a local comp going on at Bpoint so I ended up not getting any wave time.

Yeah, I was at Usami on Saturday. I didn't end up surfing at all on Sunday because of double booking myself (again!) but it doesn't seem like I missed anything. Being there all day Saturday was a real eye opener at how fast conditions can change. I've never been at a break that increased in size by 6 feet or so in just a couple of hours!

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get a few pics of the waves from a that Typhoon that rolled by a few weeks ago. These photos are from a friend of mines. Kugenuma and Enoshima doesn't usually get waves like this.

66622_10150102515733065_785628064_720980

67213_10150102518143065_785628064_720990

67000_10150102515183065_785628064_720978

66649_10150102515463065_785628064_720979

66069_10150102518023065_785628064_720990

65904_10150102514828065_785628064_720977

33665_10150102517738065_785628064_720989

(photos by Satoko Fujisawa)