You know youve been in japan a long time when...

...you bow when you talk on the phone

...you have that `whip the onsen towel over your shoulder to dry your back` technique down

...you can read the english on SUV tire covers without giggling hysterically

what do you have?

thought it was a "gaggle of gaijin" ;\)

...when you consult five other people before coming up with an answer yourself...just in case!..I think is that right? Maybe?

...you point to your nose when referring to yourself :p

...you get on a train and immediately get out your keitai. :rolleyes:

I was in Honolulu last year attending a friends wedding. I had to go to a store to buy a white shirt. The cash register guy said to me "you live in Japan, don't you?" Surprised, I said "yes, how do you know?" He said my head bobs like a Japanese.

The bobbing head yes. I get that a lot when I'm back in England. And the mmmm's of acknowledging someone. That isn't very English it seems.

Also, these days I'm so used to what I call "Janglish" that I can barely turn it off. My wife and I speak a mix at home so much that when I visit English speaking nations I often throw in Japanese words here and there like "sugoi" and of course knowbody knows what the hell I'm talking about. Been here too long!

Quote:
Originally posted by big-will:

And don't use a teaspoon to put the coffee in the cup. Just shake it out of the bottle. My mum hates me doing that.
I don't think that's a Japanese trait.. Just plain silly!

um, why you drinking coffee from a jar in the first place? It isn't actually coffee, just a nasty by-product. Did you know that in most non-Anglo Saxon countries, very few people have even heard of instant coffee in a jar? And that includes poor people from Vietnam, so don't go calling people who drink real coffee 'snobs'.