Walking in Hokkaido a few years ago I couldn't understand why all the hikers had bells on their sacks. Then found out why but didn't think I needed one. Walking a couple of years later in Gunma prefacture by myself, coming down a mountain along a deserted path through dense forest I stated thinking about bears and wondered if there were any there (didn't see any). Got to my destination of a tiny deserted station with an enormous warning sign in Kanji. I got the meaning by the very graphic image of a vicous bear. I bought a bell the next day. Can't imagine the terror (or pain) that boy felt; I got the fear from just thinking about bumping into a bear.

Isn't the Hokkas bear a fair bit bigger than the Honshu bear? Getting roughed up by one of those would hurt.

I saw a bear from the dragondola between Naeba and Kagura - it added another factor to consider when thinking about ducking the ropes.

My work/research involves going a lot in the mountains and setting up instruments. Last year wile setting up instruments in Atotsugawa area (its in Hida takayama, Takayama prefecture), I had my first encounter with the big furry animals. Here are some picks that my colleague managed to take before our car scared them away. They are not aggressive animals, and as soon as they sense someone’s presence, they flee in the woods.

kuma-2.jpg

kuma-3.jpg

kuma-4.jpg

they finally caught the bear that was terrorizing Tateyama the last 10 days, I think. It jumped two old guys coming out of their houses, ripped their faces off and actually fractured their skulls! We had the firefighters driving around with their damn bells at 5 in the morning talking on loudspeakers 'we have not yet found the bear. If you see a bear please call city hall'

• 2 weeks later...

kuma-4.jpg

oh, I didn't know they were that big.

I think Japan will kill them off in short order, or perhaps encase them in concrete. They are abunai, a threat to the people in a small country, like the ocean, hills, rivers, snow, rainfall, earthquake. Living there must be stressful what with all these killer bears now roaming around.