Head there early - the tuna auctions start really early and are a really big attraction. Scary to see how many tuna they pull out of the ocean day in day out...

Also make sure you check out the holiday schedule so you don't get up super early arrive to find the whole place closed down!!

(speaking from experience here!! arrrghh)

Check out http://www.tsukiji-market.or.jp/tukiji_e.htm for more info

Mm - nope they're still open for the tourists.

These days they've got an area in the auctions roped off especially for the tourists. You should still be able to get in and check out the madness of the auctions. I think they kick off about 4:30ish, but we've been there at 5:30 / 6:00ish and they've still been right into it.

If your tastebuds have woken up, a feed of sushi at the nearby sushi bars can go down a treat too....

TJ, the fish market is a must! I wasn't really that keen to wake up at 4:30am on the day we got the bus to Hakuba but it was well worth it cause the fish market was amazing! I've never seen anything like it. As for the tuna auction being closed off, I went there in Feb this year, we walked right into the crowd around the auctioneer but after about 10 mins a nice old man told us we had to watch from the other side of the rope. This didn't really matter cause it's an open space anyway and the rope is right next to the auction. The auctioneer was a total nut screaming and ringing his bell, so funny.

Here is a picture of a non-frozen tuna...

tuna.jpg

I thought Tsukiji wasn't so smelly compared to the fish market at local fishing harbor. Sushi at Tsukiji is pretty expensive, probably they use very good quality fish. I am not so happy to eat Sushi or raw fish for breakfast though... ;\)

fb_steve, nice pic. That's a massive fish! Any of you divers ever speared something that big? I sure haven't.

Anyways, back on subject, I go to the Sendai fish market(actually closer to Matsushima) about once a month to buy kani, maguro, uni and ikura. It's always a nice way to spend the morning. People who fish for a living are interesting to talk to in my opinion.