Yappari, foreigners coming in and tainting the pure world of sumo. ;\)

NAGOYA — Russian Roho was suspended Sunday after losing his temper and attacking two photographers the previous day at the Nagoya Grand Sumo Tournament, the Japan Sumo Association said. Roho, a No. 3 maegashira, will miss three days of the competition from the eighth day of action for smacking a Mainichi Shimbun photographer, leaving him with a bruise on his face requiring minor treatment. He also hit a Chunichi Shimbun photographer in the face but the photographer was not hurt.

Roho, 26, was shoved into the ringside seats by ozeki Chiyotaikai Saturday. Both wrestlers exchanged words and glared at each other after the match. Roho smashed a bathroom glass window on his way back to the dressing room. What triggered the exchange is unclear but both Chiyotaikai also received a warning from JSA Chairman Kitanoumi. Roho later said that Chiyotaikai made a derogatory comment.

Asashoryu, Hakuho, Kotooshu, Baruto, Asasekiryu, Ama, Kokkai, Kyokutenho, Tokitenku, Badboy bubby - Roho, his brother Hakurozan, Kyokushuzan, Kasugao and thats just the top division!

Hakuho and Kotooshu have stormed to Ozeki really quickly.

Shuzan was the first mongolian to reach the top division which until then had only ever been breached by the 4 Hawaiins.

The Beya have limit of one foreigner per beya (some have 2 from the old quota) so there there is a limit to the gaijin infiltration.

Roho is a dick, he has a real attitude he deserves to get arrested for assault, some in the sumo community have whispered 'roid rage' as steroids arent tested for in sumo, the Nihon Sumo Kyokai NSK have an ignorance is bliss attitude to 'performance enhancing'.

147kg and 194cm and not all that fat, pretty muscular with bad acne.....

06071701rohouDGR00110G060716D.jpg

20020065.jpg

If a gaijin wrestler takes Japanese citizenship, do they still get counted in the quota.

I'm not 100% sure but didn't the Hawaiians have to become Japanese Citizens to become Yokozuna?

(Same with Santos and Ramos for Soccer)

Quote:
Originally posted by misorano:
. . . didn't the Hawaiians have to become Japanese Citizens to become Yokozuna?
(Same with Santos and Ramos for Soccer)
I thought it was the other way around. I thought you needed to be a top-level athelete or star in order to obtain Japanese citizenship.
lol.gif

yokozuna don't have to be Japanese citizens. Akebono was promoted to yokozuna before he chose to become a citizen of Japan. Oyakata, however, have to be Japanese. Did Asashoryu get his Japanese citizenship?

Having a quota only belittles the sport in my opinion. It's kind of like saying, we realize we are not very good at our own sport so in order to keep the level of competition low we would really prefer our low level guys to be the dominant participants. MLB/NBA/NHL are better for allowing anyone with the ability to participate. It simply raises the bar for everyone.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Having a quota only belittles the sport in my opinion. It's kind of like saying, we realize we are not very good at our own sport so in order to keep the level of competition low we would really prefer our low level guys to be the dominant participants. MLB/NBA/NHL are better for allowing anyone with the ability to participate. It simply raises the bar for everyone.
Same as surfing. They protect their home tour so much that no one comes here to compete. They should open the gates, sure they'll get their asses kicked for a few years but it can only be good for the future level of the sport.