A new feature, "Giving It Away", by Fattwins, has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-74.html

"While thinking of titles for this piece about the ski areas around the Gifu area I came up with these - Gifu why Gifu, Gifu why not Gifu, The secrets of Gifu.

I just couldn’t find a title that I could build a story on. I decided I would focus on the resorts and the secrets I know best - Takasu Snow Park and Dynaland.

Canada has Whistler. America has Mammoth. These mountains are the freestyle hotbeds in North America. Japan has a freestyle hotbed too, the place where the young kids come out to see and be seen. Some people will argue the point - 47 has big jumps, Ontake has a great park, Naeba hosts killer events.... I’ve been to them all and Takasu still holds the number 1 spot by far in Japan."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-74.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here...

nah after talking to nofakie and hearing how good it is I have decided to head to dyna with you big guy. if you dont go Ill be pissed. The big kicker is calling. get that pipe open the fattwins is got his jumping boots ready to go.

Gifu was amazing this weekend. Sunday was cold and blue with amazing deep dry snow. Saturday was equally great just not blue sky.

Fattwins you are going to have to come to some of the other hills beyond Takasu. But we have to sware you to secracy.

I know it can derail the chair. Actually that is all I have ever said to people that want to do that. Sorry for doing it.

When I did it I just slid off the chair as gently as I could. I don't think it released to much.

I won't do it again but am glad that I did.

As for keeping my hida stashes secret I am not really. All it takes is a map to see what is north and East of Tak and then go there yourself.

i've been advised that (if u ever find the urge irresistable) the safest place to jump off a lift (for other riders on the lift)is when the cable is running under the roller guides, this will stop the spring from releasing your weight.

this is not meant to encourage anyone to do so.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

Japanese people are lemmings they will just follow you. imagine 5 people jumping off of the chairs the chair line will unwieght spring up and derail. I too have looked at lines and wanted to jump off but I do care if others follow. Lastly sounding like a papa, you like this resort right? now that there is a big hole and gaijins caught in the trees what do you think will happen next time you go?
2 things about this.

The "Japanese people are like lemmings" thing is a perfect reason to keep these resort names a quasi-secret. I've had two resorts in the last two weeks where there was literally NO ONE else skiing the knee-plus deep pow in the woods. I'd do almost anything to keep it that way. I (we in some cases) found it myself, and others can do the same.
 Quote:
Originally posted by : Fattwins
I like reading your journals but when I cant put a name to it I cant look in my Ski map book. it is in a way anti climatic.
But Fatty where's ya imagination? How fun would it be if everything was mapped out and you didn't have anything to go and find for yourself.
I don't think that it's anti climatic at all to not know the location, more when reading Toques journal I was more like thinking lucky bastard.
Maybe I come from a different school though??

Nice maps though, & if someone is nice enough to publish them if they can be helpful to me I will use them!

Nice touch FT. After my first visit to Dyna & Takas a coupla weeks ago your bits put it in a little more perspective. I only ventured "off" a coupla times on safe(?) lines where others had gone. Looked a bit sus the trees and all, for a mainly on courser like me (also the powder was deep and my skis & technique stank).

I couldn't believe the location of the "secret bowls" on your map. Must have scooted pass their on piste a number of times, as must many do.

Just down from there a bit had a big freak out when 3 boarders dropped out of the trees in succession. F'ing Pigs(harsh I know) They didn't check up hill at all. If you triple dropped in like that on a wave there'd be serious comings.

Anyway I hope to get back there again sometime? with little printouts of your maps. Thanks. \:\)

No worries mate. Takasu is a great little place. Good touring easy powder and harder stuff too.

I think its one of the best places to get yur shiiit together before heading into some of the resorts off piste stuff. Shorter lines less risk of cliffs that you cant see. Try to hook up with Oufreeski2 he knows the mountains pretty good too.