yeah, but this is just an old bill refurbished. japan had been doing this up until 2001. this is not the get all the gaijin criminal xeophobia that we might want to criticize it for. it is simply japan jumping on th eanti-terrorism band wagon. however, is that any better?

For those not wanting to jump without even knowing what it is about >>

Diet passes bill to take foreigners' prints, pics

A bill requiring fingerprinting and photographing of foreigners upon entry to Japan was passed Wednesday as a way to prevent terrorism.

Despite strong criticism from the Japan Federation of Bar Associations and human rights organizations, the bill cleared the House of Councilors with a majority vote by the ruling Liberal Democratic Party and New Komeito.

With the revision of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Law, an estimated 6 million to 7 million foreigners entering Japan every year will be obliged to have their fingerprints and photographs taken, along with other personal identification information.

Japan have been looking for a way to do this for years and now they can pretend that preventing terrorism is their objective (wouldn't be suprised if JWB said to Koizumi over lunch " hey, just say terrorism and you can get anything passed, like me"

Daver, yeah it's old but will affect us in a different way.

"The measure exempts people under age 16, ethnic Koreans and other special permanent residents, those invited by the government and people entering Japan for diplomatic or official purposes.

Other than that, all foreigners will be targeted all foreigners will be targeted. For people already living here and regardless of having a permanent, work or spouse visa, all will be obliged to be fingerprinted and photographed when re-entering the country. all will be obliged to be fingerprinted and photographed when re-entering the country.

Teranaka pointed out that foreign spouses of Japanese will now be treated differently than their partners."

This means that now, unlike before, we will have to line up in a different line from our families and have this done every time we enter..

fu**ing idiots.

Yeah but Indo, its not surprising that theyve changed the laws yeah. A long time ago all foreigners had to be fingerprinted and have that on their registration card. Sure youve been here long enough to remember that.

I agree its a pain in the ass but customs in Japan, for some things, are very lax. Id say in a few years getting on a Shinkansen wont be as simple as it is now.

I know that but I was finger printed the very first time I came (I think it was at the ward office, not the airport in 1997). Was no hassle as it was just once.

But to have to go through that everytime we come back in is a farging joke. Now my wife will have to hold all the shit and 2 little kids probably in a different line, while I go an line up to be fingerprinted and photographed. Thats where I am pissed. Being a permanent resident isn't enough that they already have that shit on my file?

Sounds sad but I really hope there is a terror attack on Japan and that it's commited by Japanese, that would stick it up them!

Quote:
Sounds sad but I really hope there is a terror attack on Japan and that it's commited by Japanese, that would stick it up them!
A sad thing to hope for, but no it wouldn't change anything at all apart from just being another issue/problem. Anyway, there have been terror attacks in Japan by Japanese already haven't there?
 Quote:
Originally posted by Middleman C Charbroiled 2 Gwenda:
Anyway, there have been terror attacks in Japan by Japanese already haven't there? [/QB]
yes there have, but maybe they still think they were not Japanese.

They started doing that in the States last year. Took ages to get through immigration at Hawaii last week cos each person had to be fingerprinted and photographed along with having their passport checked.

I don't know but I would think it's just for foreign passport holders. I can't imagine they'd do it everytime to green card holders but they probably have to do it the first time they enter. I've had to do it as a tourist twice in Hawaii so it seems they don't keep the tourist records on file.

Electronically. You have to put each of your index fingers on a little glass plate for a few seconds and then they are scanned or photographed or something & end up in the computer.