One thing I hate is people who are just plain rude. I was just at the bank before and this guy in front of me was doing his furikomi stuff, and he was on the phone at the same time. Anyway he walked away and I was next, and I noticed that he had left some coins in the machine. So I walked out and tried to find him - he was still on his phone and I politely (I think) tried to gesture to him that he had left some money. He waved me away, got angry on his phone, finished the conversation and started rattling on to me about how rude I had been. I explained to him, he went back to get his 2,900 yen and not one word of thanks - just a mean look.

Just thought it was very rude.

Lets hear some more rude people stories.

Taxi drivers (when you aren't a passenger) are always rude/obnoxious if you are a fellow driver.

People who jump into the front of the line when a new line opens, even though they aren't next in line at a super market ,. etc., are rude.

People who gawk at you for speaking English (or any other language which they don't speak) are rude.

I was standing at an intersection in kita-Urawa (Saitama) once and an old guy came up and just started shouting and pointing at me to anybody who would listen "gaijin, gaijin, gaijin..." I was speechless but must admit, I found it more than a tad bit rude.

> People who jump into the front of the line when a new line opens, even though they aren't next in line at a super market ,. etc., are rude.

I do that. "Be Alert! Your country needs lerts".

Quote:
People who jump into the front of the line when a new line opens, even though they aren't next in line at a super market ,. etc., are rude.
old woman are particularly bad for that i find. you're not an old woman are you O11?

That bloke sounds like a complete wanker MUIKABOCHI, i bet you wanted to punch him in the face mad.gif
 Quote:
If a new line starts its open season. The line position from the previous line only applies in the old line.

What I find incredibly rude is people laughing AT you when you try to speak with them in their language. There's not much more offputting than that. I know sometimes it is a "nervous laugh" but all the same...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
That's complete bullshit. They open new lines to accomodate the demand. Next in line ='s next in line!
No, they open new lines so that those of us who are in a hurry can get out of the shop quickly. People who have nothing better to do are at liberty to gaze up at the strip lights with their mouths open.

So what are the rules then? Who gets the second spot in the new line? Is it the 3rd person from the original line? Should every 2nd person from the first line move to the new line to maintain fairnes. What if there are two lines open and then a new one opens?

hayai mono gachi!

Business to be conducted? Hmmmm, if time is money (and it is for me), get the fk behind me if I'm next in line because I've got business to be conducted. It's rude to jump ahead.

Smokers are rude. I know I'm going to catch hell for this one but seriously, what could be more rude than to blow smoke out of your mouth and onto another person threatening their health and leaving them and their clothes completety smelly? It's rude and on this one I beg for a logical dissagreement.

Car driver's that park on the side of the road to go over to the vending machine to buy some fags are rude. They create a line of traffic in order to satisfy their own little nicotine addiction.

BTW, my definititon of rude is being inconsiderate.

(sorry, have I been rude?)

I witnessed an extreme display of rudeness the other night. My boyfriend and I went to dinner at our favourite restaurant and we were seated next to two girls who were chatting and looking at the menu. We'd eaten at this restaurant quite a few times and knew exactly what we wanted, so we ordered straight away.

When our meals arrived, one of the girls stopped the waiter and said "Excuse me, we were here before them, why are they getting their meals before us?". The waiter very politely explained that we'd ordered before them but the girl continued to argue and speak to the waiter in a very condescending tone.

We began eating and tried to ignore the dirty looks they were giving us. After a minute, the first girl commented to me snidely, "Hope you're enjoying that, we've been waiting for ages and we're starving". I was quite stunned and it took every ounce of self-control I had not to jab her with my fork.

We finished our meal without further incidence, however, at one point we heard them arguing with the waiter again, demanding that they should receive free coffees because their meals were "awful".

Rude!

i worked in a bottle recycling depot before i came to japan...i've worked in the service industry for years, and somehow people think that it's okay to be rude to people who are sorting through their stinky, slimy, mouldy, cigarette-and-god-knows-what-else-filled bottles - and then giving them money! we had people call us stupid and lazy and accusing us of ripping them off to the tune of 5 cents daily.

you get a thick skin after a while, and the odd person who treats you with common courtesy suddenly shines like a beacon of model human behaviour.

one time, though, this lady came in with a real look of death in her eye, and my co-workder and i glanced at each other like "uh-oh...". at one point we asked her to move back a little 'cause we were a bit crowded counting her bottles, to which she replied, "I'm sure it doesn't take much of an IQ to work in a place like this; you might want to go back to school and learn some manners!" i laughed and made some remark back that caused her to call in and try to have me fired...

yikes. was she having a bad day or what? from the look on her face, most likely she'd been having one for a few years.

Quote:
what could be more rude than to blow smoke out of your mouth and onto another person threatening their health and leaving them and their clothes completety smelly?
needless to say i smoke, and i agree that you have inconsiderate smokers. however its a right we have to smoke if we like. and provided you are considerate and aim your smoke away from others, keep the ashtray out of others faces, smoke away from others where its feasible....
there are numerous things i would like people to not do around me but you put up with it cause its life ;\)
thats a funny story NICOLE. i would have made the most of it, really rubbed it in, maybe slipped them a cheeky edamame to keep them happy wave.gif were they japanese girls?

sorry but I agree with Kintaro completely, smoking is not acceptable at all. I flew back to the UK from Japan last week and at the start of the very long journey I popped into a cafe in Kansai airport to get coffee and breakfast. I sat in non-smoking but someone was chain smoking on the other side of the room and I had to rush my food down to get out. I still stunk of cigarettes and had a sore throat for the whole 12 hours after that. Smokers disgust me so deeply, to me they look like little babys sucking on a soother, only worse because they are adults and the tabacco they suck on damages their health and annoys me.

If I was made King I would give everyone 1 month to give up smoking then give a 'shoot on site' order to the police for anyone they see smoking.

I think smokers are ignorant of just how annoying it is for non smokers to be exposed to their smoke. Id rather have someone fart in face, at least the smell goes away after a minute.

Quote:
Originally posted by rigor mortis:
thats a funny story NICOLE. i would have made the most of it, really rubbed it in, maybe slipped them a cheeky edamame to keep them happy wave.gif were they japanese girls?
No that happened here in Australia! So much for Aussies being laid back and friendly :p
 Quote:
Originally posted by rigor mortis:
needless to say i smoke, and i agree that you have inconsiderate smokers. however its a right we have to smoke if we like. and provided you are considerate and aim your smoke away from others, keep the ashtray out of others faces, smoke away from others where its feasible....
Blow your smoke away, keep ashtrays out of our faces and try to smoke away but we ( non smokers) will still come away stinking.

Parents who smoke in cars with kids I think deserve to be booked. The have just introduced a law in OZ that bans it.
Oz is great, smoke free everywhere, maybe in 50 years it might be the same here.

the UK is getting there too. but when in japan last week i really noticed how much more smoking there was going on everywhere. most cafes have only a small non-smoking area where you still have to suffer smoke from the nearby smoking area.

probably the cig companies in japan have more power over the government than they do in the west.