What do they show at a cinema before a movie starts in Japan?

In the UK, it is now an seemingly endless amount of ads and trailers. About 30 minutes of the damn things.

At least when I was a kid the ads were funny local things very poorly made:

"Get your carpets cleaned at Mr Smiths Carpets Cleaners, next door to this cinema. Tell them you saw this ad and get 20p off!"

And anyone from the UK remember those funny little random support 15 minute features about absolutely anything they used to put on?

not really ads at the large cinemas in canada, not where i go anyway.

more trailers and plugs for the snack bar, courtesy announcements about turning your phone off/being quiet etc.

there is usually only about 10 minutes of stuff before the movie here which is a lot different from other places ive been where you can turn up at your own leisure (within reason) and still catch the movie.

i remember the roppongi virgin cinema has a terrible english teaching segment before the movie which consists of some gai jin speaking really slowly.

In the UK I remember they constantly showed this advert at my local Odeon (I assume the same at them all)

It was like 52weeks a year...7 days a week.....24 hours a day........60minutes an hour...... and so on, with this really irritating music. It ran for years, I think it was just an advert for Odeon but it wasn't a very good one as it irritated me so much whenever I saw it I wanted to set fire to the screen and I can't actually even be sure what it was for. mad.gif

I think Pearl & Dean are gone as are those lovely little info films and many of the crappy local ads. Well in the multiplex near where my family live anyway.

Pearl and Dean. Wow that brings back a lot. And those short films. They were just so naff. I remember seeing one about windfurfing or something. It had absolutely nothing to do with the movie, and no-one was interested.