1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

yep shes a pricey thing going for swim in Japan, as well as crowded and infuriating.

Already lots of 'others' in the exercise category,

what 'other' do you get up to? I tried to think of as many as I could, but likely forgot really obvious ones!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Why go to the gym when you can get the same effect at home? Especially if you drive to the gym...
gyms have favourable aspects such as aesthetic scenery.
one of the main reasons I go to a gym, as the one I use is in the adjacent building to my work place, I ride my bike and take a shower before there before making the 20 sec trip to work, its a godsend in summer.
The pool, the sauna, the massage pool are also drawcards. No pool? then forget about it
Unless they are convenient and multi functional, gyms are a WOFTAM

you are right about the driving to the gym business, whats the point?

SG, I do martial arts twice! ;\)

Gym, 2-3 times aweek which includes swimming ( just depends on my injuries I have at the time... Now Lunate bone fracture??)

Have weights at home and do them if I can't make it into the gym.

I am going to do less weights this year and try to do more swimming, 2-3 times a week plus runs...

I go to the gym usually 4 days per week. I belong to a gym mostly for the use of their basketball court. It's hard to find in Japan. But I also use their weights and running machines.

I pay 6,400 yen for daytime/weekday access.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Yes, I've used it twice in 4 years. Just too manny baaba's in it!
Good thing about my pool is when I get in the baabas get out! they know I swim fast and dont dont stop. They see me and quickly change lanes except this one lady, she must be 60 but she rocks!, she can stick with me at the same pace for over 2km!
Also lot of competitive swimmers use the pool especially at night so there are always a couple of lanes with good swimmers only
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
I think something else that would be interesting to know is how much money people spend on exercise/month. Gym fees/pool fees/yoga etc...?
How much do you pay?
I think something else that would be interesting to know is how much money people spend on alcohol, cigarettes, herbs....etc.

cool1.gif

I spend nothing on my exercise regime (apart from a rather big downpayment on the rowing machine that I use when it's nasty out). I was a little shocked to spend 7,000 yen on booze and fags for me and the wife the other weekend, especially when I reflect how long these will last.

I'm thinking about going back to gym this year to do some weights and maybe some yoga classes.

I don't like the gyms in the city though - they're huge and you feel like just another face in the crowd. My old gym was great because it was small and no frills and everyone knew eachother on a first-name basis.

Is runners high when you spend ages on the treadmill and feel like your about to pass out? I used to go to the gym a lot until a year ago, I realised having a mate with you really motivates you (especially a stronger mate), cause once my friend slacked off so did I... Going with 5 guys is even better, that's when everyone kills themselves trying to out-do eachother. Might be silly but it works!

I go swimming or cycling everyweekend. The swimming pool near Shibuya is just 400yen. There are few Obasans in the evening and I'm pretty good swimmer there. I spent 170,000yen on my road bike. It's not cheap bike but not so expensive if I compare to my budget for ski equipment. I can keep up with my male friends during 50-80km(distance) ride thanks to my nice bike! And doing Yoga at home is free.

I like life long exercise, I can keep doing it untill 70years old! So, going to gym is not for me.

fb: runners high is what they call it when you've been running for so long that your body releases endorphins to numb the pain. it's pretty awesome - you go from feeling like you're going to collapse to feeling as though you could run another 10km.

i play ultimate frisbee one night a week and on sunday afternoons if i'm in Tokyo.

i try to do some light exercises at home pull-ups/push-ups/crunches and yoga but since starting my new job have not made much time for any of it.

i was using the stairs at work but had to slow down because i was aggravating some sprains and my shin splints. same injuries keep me from jogging. and i don't have a bike. i should really swim but i find it a hassle.

climbing gyms are the only kind i go to but that's too expensive at the moment.

(i used to go 2-3 times a week before i came to Japan \:\( )

so current costs: none

Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
I think something else that would be interesting to know is how much money people spend on exercise/month. Gym fees/pool fees/yoga etc...?
How much do you pay?
I think something else that would be interesting to know is how much money people spend on alcohol, cigarettes, herbs....etc.

cool1.gif
alcohol/month: guessing around 2000-5000 yen
cigs: dont smoke em
herbs: like what, oregano? confused.gif :p

Free for me, company provide to us nice gym and soon pool should be opened (yay).

Trying to exercise regularly, though in winter feel more lazy and do it rarely. Still do some yoga, 2-3 times go to gym, summer time it's jogging and mountain bike.