No, not about the smell or taste but the eating style. There seems to be a real "I'm eating natto" style with lots of whirling of chopsticks going on. I know to a certain extent it is necessary with all the sticky goodness (!), but should I really be learning the technique? ;\)

How about okura?

It's a vegitable similar with green pepper but a bit hairy

lol.gif

(not sure this is a good translation or not, maybe not help!!! - real short ones like at peach skin )

A lot of white seeds inside.

Junsai?

You may find some in a soup bowl when you get in a Japanese kaiseki restaurant.

Mozuku?

One of sea weed, usually in some sour.

We have many sticky food.

like moss on the bottom of a pond. soft, slimey green stuff. feels nice between your toes when you walk in the shallows.

feels not so good when it's sliding down your throat in the middle of a bowl of miso soup!

Ah, got it. But tororo kobu is not alive, so it's okay with me. Odori is scary though.

It's a way of eating half-alive thing mostly crabs or fish. They still move in your throat arghhhhhh! I can't stay with it.

\:\(

Lots of expensive food are just that because they're rare or difficult to prepare. Ah, wealthy societies.

gamera, yes, they're all out for me. Same with nameko, tororo-imo, etc. And don't start with the "it's good for you" speech :p

I cannot wake up in the morning and 'whirl' around a bowl of natto whith my misso soup. But I can, however, do it at dinner. Natto maki is especially good. I never mind the smell.. my wife grinds out at breakfast and it's cool with me. Natto hanpen is very tasy in my opinion!

Seems to have gone into a normal natto discussion... I want to know about the eating style. I heard with ramen if you make a noise it is supposed to signal your approval. So is there a special way I should be eating my natto, and any tips ( lol.gif )

\:D

English description of Japanese noodle slurping noise is always one of "approval", but it's just standard practice so people would do it with any noodles, even ones that they find poor tasting. Just a different habit than what you're used to, like many other habits of other human beings, I guess. Is there a need to explain every little thing that's different from the comfort zone? (But everyone tries to do this, and slurping spaghetti, while understandable, is annoying.)