A new feature, "Hakkoda", by Simon Bernard, has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-76.html

"Fast becoming the worst kept secret, Hakkoda has become known as the Number 1 mountain for hardcore snowboarders, telemarkers and skiers. There is no other place in Japan for the steep and deep powder courses that it offers. Can you imagine a place where you board all day and still be in untracked powder?"

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-76.html

Look out for the second page of photographs from Hakkoda too:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-hakkoda-photos.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here...

So beautiful!

My friend goes there every year and he told me that he bought snow shoes and detector for Hakkoda skiing. Now I know why he goes there every year and why he bought them. \:\)

Fantastic scenery there. I'll have to check it out. Full marks for the "go out, do what you like, get lost, all up to you" attitude as well. It's what nature should be about.

Quote:
There is no other place in Japan for the steep and deep powder courses that it offers.
I don't wish to spoil the party, but that sounds like a big exaggeration. It does snow in other parts of Japan ( \:\) )and some of them are a lot steeper than Hakkoda looks on the topo map

http://mapbrowse.gsi.go.jp/cgi-bin/nph-mm.cgi?mesh=6140062&res=0&offset=0&method=l?14,792

The ropeway is bottom right in the map. The tighter packed the lines are, the steeper it is. The top bit looks quite good, but its a long run after that down to the bottom.

If I do go, it's a going to be a very long drive, so I hope it's going to be worth it....

The flat run-out at Hakkouda can be hell for a boarder... its the price you pay for that nice steep bit at the top (which isnt that steep, but is still very nice when you can see....which isnt often!)

Everyone needs to realize he is also talking about a lot of the backcountry in the area also. The BC probably makes up 80% of the whole area. The Tram has some great stuff off of it, excellent in fact, but you have to remember there are 7 other peaks in the immediate area. Some of the terrain is downright scary!

Hakkoda is definately a place where you have to know where to go to get the best stuff - even in the tram and lift served areas. I have hardly done any BC up there yet, but will be doing plenty this spring (knee killed me for that last year). I have hiked the mountains extensively in the summer, however, and must say there are some extremely tantalizing lines.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no other place in Japan for the steep and deep powder courses that it offers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will admit, that is worded a bit weirdly. From what I've seen of everyones videos, I'd say Japan has a lot to offer in a lot of different places. Hakkoda truely is unique though.

Glad everyone liked the pictures, but its pretty much impossible to take a bad one on a bluebird day. The trick is being there when it happens! I think I've had 3 or 4 in two years...

Also, the backcountry is spectacular, but access is limited even for those who know the area - because of the rapid weather changes that can hit. Spring is definitely the time for bc at Hakkoda, but that tempting steep stuff is also the stuff that goes sliding with a bit of warmth. I'm actually wondering how safe the bc is going to be this year with the funny start we had to the season. \:\(

Quote:
Can you imagine a place where you board all day and still be in untracked powder?"[/b]
[/QB]
yep I can imagine, its called Hakuba and its more accessible than Hakkoda. I am sure Hakkoda is a sweet place, but its way up the top there, which is sweet for you local guys because alot of people like me cant be buggered going all the way up there when there is Nagano and Niigata a whole lot more accessible. It keeps your secret little spots up there mostly safe.
I do suppose though yobbo US military guys are abundant up there though and are into that action, but most of the Kanto, Chubu and Kansai crowd are not likely to make it. Keeps the untracked lines untracked though doesnt it?
 Quote:
Originally posted by I_HATE_CHEESE:
 Quote:
Can you imagine a place where you board all day and still be in untracked powder?"
[/b]
yep I can imagine, its called Hakuba and its more accessible than Hakkoda. I am sure Hakkoda is a sweet place, but its way up the top there, which is sweet for you local guys because alot of people like me cant be buggered going all the way up there when there is Nagano and Niigata a whole lot more accessible. It keeps your secret little spots up there mostly safe.
I do suppose though yobbo US military guys are abundant up there though and are into that action, but most of the Kanto, Chubu and Kansai crowd are not likely to make it. Keeps the untracked lines untracked though doesnt it? [/QB]
There is so much wrong with your post that this will be my only commment.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I hope to ride with Plucky one day at Hakkoda or the Forest, military yobo notwithstanding.
I'm not sure if you understood the sarcasm or not, but I'm not denying the greatness of Hakuba in any way. I'd love to show you around at either place, anytime you want. I'd be happy to. I'd love to get down south myslef and sample some of the riding there - trust me.

Oh, and I'm not military. Just a dirty contractor out here. Shoot had to edit this in \:D