I got it from Cost-co but you can get them at FBC too. I don't think it was that expensive - around 3 or 4 thousand yen I think. No, I don't have an oven big enough to fit it in but that's one of the benefits of having a husband who owns a bar just down the road \:D

We did a roast at home with the Mother and law and niece round to visit last year. They loved it, had all the decorations and xmas music, all new to them. Would do it again this year but we'll be doing the good old kiwi xmas bbq back home instead. Will be back for shogatsu though, mmmmmm....osetchi \:\( . I suppose it's not that bad but it always seems to be pretty austere food to eat in the middle of winter.

one of my best christmas days was last year; sat eating ramen with the kids at Ohdai ski slope in Akita. Beautiful snow covered mountain, probably the best ramen i've eaten (and very cheap) and then day spent boarding, sledging and building snowmen in the sun. Every Christmas should be like that.

Never missed the turkey.

I usually cook 10 plates for Christmas.

But have never tried turkey yet, maybe one of reason is the difficulty to get one and another reason is if it doesn't taste good, who can be responsible to eat it all out!? <-- this is always a hard question when we try something we have never done yet.

Usually I have a typical British family Christmas at home. Wake up about 9 and have the first of many drinks of the day, usually something like ginger wine or muld wine. Open the presents, before having a minutes silence for all the tree's that have sacrificed themselves so that we can have warapping paper ;\) Then its more booze untill lunch (throughout the morning various relatives venture into the kitchen to see if how the cooking is going, before running back out after being threatened with a spatula by my mother). Turkey lunch with all the trimmings, washed down nicely with lager. Then we sit ourselves down in front of the TV for the rest of the day, refusing to go for the traditionally refused walk after lunch. Drink some more, doze, drink bed.

This is usually repeated on boxing day but without the present opening as we find it gets in the way of the drinking anyway.

This year though my father is in Argentina, my mother is in Yorkshire (we don't live in Yorkshire), my sister is round her boyfriends house,my grandmother has passed away and I'm in Japan. This kinda screwed the usual Christmas plans so this year I haven't a clue \:\)

I surfed my last Christmas in Japan. Waves were pounding! Luckily, it was a crappy snow year at the time so it was only 2C out which was quite warm \:D

I realize I was different than a lot of you. I bought a 12 pound turkey on base for cheap and had a good meal. I would have rather had some good ramen and rice, but, ya deal with what ya got \:D T-day in America mystifies me. I realize the tradition, but turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc.... It ain't that great. Now these were tasty nuggets on xmas day!

Going Left!

lumpitJetty.jpg

gamera - turkeys often last a long time. You end up having turkey meals for days on end - turkey casserole, turkey pie, turkey everything.... you get so fed up with it you need a year to recover and get ready for more turkey.

I wonder if you didn't have any stomachache when you eat some turkey 2 weeks after you cook it?

I guess perhaps Japanese have too weeker stomaches in this meanings. I often hear some people say like they sometimes put a combini bento for a week in a refridgeator to eat it later but if I did that probably I would have a stomachache.

It's often 'Japanese' when some have stomachache from water somewhere.