Was anyone here either a) bullied or B) a bully at school?

I was talking with a good friend of mine last night and it turns out that he was bullied a fair bit at school (rich parents) - nothing too bad, but it has had such a big effect on his life.... much more than I can imagine.

It got me thinking about Japan as well - much bullying going on over there?

BOC, does this "bully" mean like "tease"?

How was it like in your friend's case?

It is reported that students in schools in Japan tend to bully someone who have kinda different points and probably it affects one's life latter, I guess.

Memories in one's kid's days stays permanentally, bad or good.

And if it were bad ones, it's perhaps what we call trauma?

Being a cops son in small town full of lowlifes and bogans wasnt the greatest thing, amazing how clever they thought they were. Deadbeats now most of them.

The worst of them was the little brother of the town's biggest sh**head, who blamed my father for his brothers problems. He was in my class for a while, thankfully he got sent off to a school for bad boys. Academically he was very bright and could have gone far if he had put his mind to it, but he didnt care and the block on his shoulder put an end to that.

here is an old thread about bullying

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/8/3065.html?#000000

Name calling was pretty common at my school and people definately hung around in their own groups, but actual bullying where groups or individuals focused it all on one person were pretty rare.

When you have got so many people from varying backgrounds forced into a single institution like a school, you are undoubtably going to get at least one or two individuals who like to be on there own and fall into the 'loner' bracket. Unfortunately a 'loner' may sometimes feel compelled to stick to themself and should at any point they attempt to make friends, they will find it incredibly difficult unless they change school.

This did happen I believe to a boy I knew of and he suffered this kind of 'passive' bullying for about the last 3 years of the 5 years we spent in secondry school. The desire for attention and peoples unwillingness to have anything to do with him must have been very difficult for him, and it did lead to attension grabbing behaviour that I wont go into as I dont want to present him as a kind of freak show. This though only made people distance themselves further from him though.

Abount 2 years after school I saw him again and he seemed to be a hell of alot happier, he had started at a new college, got a girlfriend and generally seemed alot better for it. So despite him having a bad time he came out of it ok it would seem.

I imagine it is very different in cases where people are specifically targeted victims. The emotional damage of that kind of abuse must be terrible.

From talking to some of my students parents it seems that bullying is on the increase, well at least locally. Some of it is quite nasty and spiteful!

A good friend of mine is constantly going to the school trying to sort these issues out but no one wants to take responsibility or deal with bullying!

Pretty hard when alot of the population here are yankis! Can see where the bullying comes from!

One of the worst forms of bullying in Japan is to isolate/shun a person. There is some physical bullying, but the greater problem is the kids who refuse to go to school as they have no friends there.

Being alone seems to make a lot of Japanese feel very uncomfortable.

I was picked on lots growing up. Living in Hawaii the natives Hawaiians (though the real numbers are very tiny), Polynesians, and 2nd 3rd generation Japanese dont seem to like white people very much. Obvious reason, we stole their monarchy and land to have a western outpost and honeymoon destination spot. Had da local braddahs picking on da haole many times. Maybe cuz Im white, maybe cuz I was a bettah sufah, or bettah lookin? Maybe dem braddahs wanted da haoles pakalolo?

Moved back to Atlanta after my first year HS started and went to an inner-city school for a year while our house was being built. Got picked on by the same group of 3-4 black guys several times including a good @sswhipping too :rolleyes:

Kinda sad when it takes 4 18 year olds to beat up a scrawny 15 year old :rolleyes:

Ive grown up around different groups of people where whites were the minority or most despised. I hate racism - its pure ignorance thumbsdown.gif

We have a huge bulling problem at our school. Its even more disgusting when many teachers endorse it mad.gif :rolleyes:

Yamakashi, I think they wanted your pakalolo brah! \:\) You are correct, racism is pure ignorance. I've dealt with the haoli bashing as well. Luckily most of my friends are big Hawaiians or Samoans that took care of me. And Hawaii is a bit more violent (not gun but fists) than other places I've been. Complete stupidity.