I was watching some news/documentary program last night and it was going on about ganguro girls (you know that look), but also talking about "banba". Is banba a subset of ganguro.

They all looked bloody ridiculous (and generaly quite busu as well), what are they thinking?

Haven't heard banba before.

Sure they weren't saying "yamanba ヤマンバ", which is/was a common referral. (lit. old mountain hag)

Actually I think the gan-gals added a splash to the staid pastiche of the times.

We all love to hate to love something - don't we??? ;\)

Grungy-gonads,

The kanji for "ganguro" = face black

Are they still around? I haven't seen any for years now. Is this some kind of revival, like 80s fashions?

PS As you asked, I find your avatar to be exceedingly hot...not.

Gyaru seem hardcore Japanese (hardly paying attention to import culture and influences, apart from those that have already been localized) but maybe an odd gyaru group would welcome a foreigner, who knows. Then there are gaijins who are born and raised in Japan with heavier emphasis on Japanese culture in their lives, they're more natural candidates :p

Guys it is not that odd....

One of my best mates is Gyaru-o, i.e. male version of gyaru. He is a decent snowboarder and we go on the mountains together. We must be really odd pairing though. Last year I over-heard a conversation in Kagura from some other Japanese guys that parked next to us at the mitsumata parking: "hora mite, gyaru-o to gaijin!!" that could be translated something like: "man look at that, Gyaru-o with a foreigner together!!!"

lol.gif

Needles to say, his girlfriend is a gyaru, and I have met quite many of her friends when we hang out together.

• 2 weeks later...