ok so i love cold weather, can't wait til winter & am forever gushing over the newly snow-capped northern alps.

BUT something about the current season is making me feel really crappy, possibly because it's not winter yet & i still have a month of work, maybe because i'm sick of my current job or maybe because it's almost been a year since i arrived.

does anyone else ever feel this way?

i totally need some change.

a teecha. yes, i guess you could call it that.

i have no holidays left due to bronchitis attacking my lungs & leaving me sick for a week. i did however, arrive at school today only to be sent home before 9am. i must have looked like hell, & so they decided it would be best if i just went home to sleep.

very nice...

HOWEVER it just made me realize how much i'd like to stay in bed every day,& not deal with school anymore.

anybody need any winter staff? i'm happy to move on after i get my xmas bonus!

Betty,

Try and work something you are interested in into your job. Just teaching is really draining.

If you have an interest, see if you can teach that too.

I ended up teaching as many computer classes as it did english ones, and also ran the school rugby team.

Sports are good as they offer a good excuse to get outside for the last hour of everyday.

You develop a better relationship with the students also.

haha, thanks misorano. that sounds good in theory

BUT

i work at a different school every single day of the month.

like a perpetual substitute teacher, i have no relationship with any students/teachers.

i'm interested in music/movies/art etc.

unfortunately, most japanese elementary school kids aren't.

Ouch!!

The job from hell, and lots of end of year parties thrown in. eek.gif

Now's time to start thinking of offical excuses for getting out of work.

Visa issues can be good. Aunt Bertha back home may have developed a fatal case of hemmoroids, and you may get a few days there.

Can you arrange to be in the northen most school on Fridays? You could head up to Hakuba from there. Are you going for the Happo-One pass this year?

i'm not sure what to do about my pass.

i think my buddies will be skiing happo so yeah, i'm thinking i'll need to drop 7man & get me one too. not sure if i should buy it soon or wait for the mt6 pass results?

visa issues.. hmm.. no hope there, just got all my visa stuff sorted out.

am seriously trying to think of something else i can do to earn some money. i loved working the winter season but the money was so poor... guess i've gotta get my priorities straight, right? anyone know how to make enough money to live & still enjoy life in rural japan?

am planning on heading up to hakuba each weekend& from dec 22-jan 8 or thereabouts,but i've got no choice over which school i go to as the schedule was set months ago.

Hi Bettyx

Hopefully you'll feel better when you get out in the mountains. You said you were sick (or sent home from work for looking sick) so that's probably contributing to you feeling glum. When I lived in a rural area where I didn't know anyone I started going to the gym...for the first time in my life. It got me out of my house in the evenings and got me fit for the winter. The gym in my local sports centre was free for town residents. I took in my own CD (no music in there) and I felt great after every workout. It brings back such fond memories that you've inspired me to go this week.

Quote:
and lots of end of year parties thrown in
The dreaded compulsory but cost you cash end of year parties. Sounds expensive! Good luck with the excuses, I'm thinking of my strategy on a few already.
 Quote:
anyone know how to make enough money to live & still enjoy life in rural japan?

am planning on heading up to hakuba each weekend& from dec 22-jan 8 or thereabouts,but i've got no choice over which school i go to as the schedule was set months ago. [/QB]
Let`s hostessing!

Maybe i`ll see you at hakuba around new years

The cold weather is a bit of an ass when at work, my office refuses to put the heating on until the 1st of December and its bloody freezing in here now, people walking around with coats and three jumpers on!! \:\(

Miso- What school rugby team you coach, I am coaching Sakura High at moment don`t suppose will be playing you? Also what team you play for here, maybe organise a bit of a inter Sj match if not too far away!! \:\)

Quote:
my office refuses to put the heating on until the 1st of December
The old switching the heater/aircon on fixed day. Where I used to work they had that. Absolutely no flexibility allowed. Even turning it off to save if the weather was was cooler/warmer than expected and wasn't needed. Crazy.

hey i feel better today. thanks for the suggestions.. stealth, until i got bronchitis i was doing yoga & taichi about 6 times a week (i have a LOT of free time).

as i'm still coughing all the time i can't attend, it's kinda distracting when everyone is getting all zen & i start having a coughing fit. so yeah, maybe by the end of the week i can go again.

less than 30 days of work until my xmas holidays! hooray!

farquah:

Use to coach at a private high school (Nissho) in Miyazaki. Hardly set the world on fire, but had a lot of fun. Difficult to get 15 players together, but we combined with nearby Nichidai to field a team for freindlies against the other schools.

I played for 15 years for Miyazaki RFC. Played through until Kyushu tourney last year, but getting to old and fat now. Young mans game me thinks.

My two elder kids started playing in Miyazaki, but there is nothing up here in Hakuba. Would love to start something here in the summer months though.

Betty:

Glad things are on the improve. If it cheers you up, we had a little snow today where we live.