Yes I have wireless and it works just fine. It's good to be able to take your machine anywhere. I'm not that technical so I don't know how 'insecure' it is, perhaps I don't want to know! lol.gif

we used to use wireless in our place but had so many problems with our wireless cards/adapters we all just returned them and bought ethernet cords.

most of the time we would be connected to the internet for about 30 minutes and then it would disconnect us and wouldnt reconnect unless we turned the router off and on.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
Yap I connect to my neighbours network. \:D
He hasent put a passord for it so anyone can connect. You can easyly put a pass for the network so that noone but you can login into it.
dude, how do I do that? I can connect to a few networks in my building but damned if I can get internet access via them. How is it done?

As I said, if they haven’t put a password in order to login, your lan card will automatically login in the network with the strongest signal.

Go to the network utility window, and check which networks dont prompt you for a Wep-key or a password in order to login into them.

I can log into my next-door neighbours "Apple Network". It's a lodge, so their network is presumably open for guests to use.

I've restricted mine using the MAC addresses of my laptops. Its an address uniquely assigned to every network card. It was less hassle than using passwords in the software of my router.

The router is on the first floor and is good to the ground floor. The signal disappears on the stairs down to the half-basement that is made of concrete. The signal varies from room to room, and directly below is best on the ground floor.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
As I said, if they haven’t put a password in order to login, your lan card will automatically login in the network with the strongest signal.
Go to the network utility window, and check which networks dont prompt you for a Wep-key or a password in order to login into them.
Sure, I can do that, no probs. But once on their LAN I am unable to piggy back their ADSL connection to the internet. How is that done?

(I would never normally steal like this but I need a 4 week bridging solution. British Telecom are a pack of idiots. I told them I was moving homes in 4 weeks and to connect the new phone in the new property. They did that and then promptly disconnected my 'broadband' service, it is totally gone and will take 2 full weeks to re-connect. They are in the process of connecting it to my new unoccupied property. Obviously I stressed how important it was for them to not disconnect my ADSL until I asked them to do so. So I am now using their free dial up 56k service, and my new property can only handle 1MB ADSL because the 'wires are too long'. I hear technology is comparatively great in Botswana.)

I would go for wireless,, its totally worth it.

Setting the wireless connection up is pretty simple just follow the direction that came with your wireless router. Think and write down your password/code and secured it. Thats it, no more messy wires and you can surf the web all over your house and yard.

As for security issue, it really doesn't matter as long as you setup a password code for your wireless network. If hacker want to hack onto your network, no matter what software protection you have they WILL still bypass it. Just do what I do, I never leave any important info, like SS number, credit card info on my computer always on a flash drive or something.

how much is broadband internet in japan?

I pay around $60 a month for 4mb Cable Internet.

It could be that you have your internet connection set up still with your old IP adress.

You should go to the "wireless internet conection" icon right click it and get into the properties.

In the window that pops up, select the "internet protocol (tcp/ip)" option and get into its properties. In the new window that pops up, select for both the IP adress and the DNS server the option to recieve it automaticaly from the network.

If this doesnt work, sorry but I cant figure out something else.

Sometimes the lan rooter protects the network,, by not leting recievers that are farther than a set-up distance to login. It could be your case.

Cheers, I managed to get on by accident yesterday, but thanks for the advice none the less. I can internet (Firefox) ok but cant send and receive mail using Outlook, no matter what settings I put in IE or Outlook connections settings. Every time I try and send mail Outlook tries to dial a connection rather than using the wireless connection that is being used to surf by both Firefox and IE. Of course, when I disconnect from the wireless service and dial up a connection Outlook is STILL unable to access mail.

Troubleshooting network settings on a PC is beyond the lay user.

Quote:
Originally posted by advantyper:
how much is broadband internet in japan?

I pay around $60 a month for 4mb Cable Internet.
I have a brochure right in front of me
30Mb cable 5040yen = $44
10Mb cable 4275yen = $37
2Mb cable 3150yen = $27

all unlimited traffic

I cant get cable though, they wont install in apartment buildings above the 3rd floor. I have ADSL - pay about 3500 unlimited and get max 600kbs

Anyone know what kind of WiFi access there is around Japan. I have a pocket PC caperble of picking up internet access wirelessly from hotspots and was wondering if they are common around many areas in Japan. I was recently in Kuala Lumpur and most coffee shops and malls had there own. I would assume this would be the same in Japan but does anyone else here actually use them?

If you understand the security settings it shouldn't be a problem. It's no different than staying at a hotel with an inroom broadband connection.

I've stayed at hotels before and have been able to access other guests computers as they have free access to their shared folders.

All you need to do is control access to the stuff on your computer. If you are using Windows then check out the MS homepage.

Quote:
Originally posted by advantyper:
Oh man, $44 for 30MB cable internet, I am so getting rip off in the states... it seems like broadband is much cheaper in Asia then in the states, now only if they would release fiber optic internet in the next few years..
Someone told me that the max speed in the states is much slower than in Japan.
Probably Korea is now providing the best service compared to the price, I hear.

Yea, thats want I read in the magazines too. in Asia Korea supposed to be the most broadband user in the world. well but I guess since in the states is so much larger, the bandwidth got to travel and cover a lot of more distances too. But still, 44mb is insane!