Denpyo - to send or not to send

OK so I've been asked (invited?) to send a denpyo to a guy who is getting married. Basically he works for another company and he has been in charge of the work on their side. Nothing major just a small thing and hardly something that has made us "close". I hardly know the guy and if anything I think he is unqualified and not much use, causing more problems than anything.

So the company called me and invited me to send a denpyo for his wedding. And I'm wondering whether to send or not - and whether it would be advised to send even if I don't really want to..... you know, for the sake of the relationship and all that.

It doesn't cost much, but it just seems so false to do it - apart from the fact I wouldn't really know what to say.... though I'm sure a Japanese colleague would be able to help with the keigo bull...

Interested to know what others might do.

I've had to send those before. My advise is to just do it for the sake of the 'relationship' and just consider it a 'shoganai' aspect of your life in Japan. It might even be cooler if you send it in English.

BoC, A denpo is basically a telegram. You pay someone to deliver your message to the, in this case, wedding. Quite silly, really, but big business in Nippon.

I've noticed that not doing any of those things, like sending out New Year greetings, has no impact on business whatsoever. If they need your services, they need your services.

Save yourself the time and money.

Doing things that seem false is what makes the world go round - leaving that rather nasty smell behind it.

Excellent advice! In fact, mina2, when in doubt, bypaass culture. Go'head and attend the wedding, stick your chopsticks straight up in your rice and don't say "omedetoo," 'cuz you don't really know them, after all!

Doing things for the sake of others is way overated. Save your time and money.

Joking aside,Ocean isn't a self-employed (unemployed) guy for nothing. Sometimes adherence to local ways does pay off in one way or the other in the long run. ;\) Cheers!

> when in doubt, bypaass culture

Kintaro, why do you see signs up in hospitals these days saying "Please do not try to bribe the staff", and why do companies politely inform you that they will not be sending out nengajo, nor will they accept gifts or favours from subcontractors? Can you perhaps explain that to me and mina2?

Could it perhaps be that a lot of normal people in this country think it's bullshit and are tired of it? Are you sure you're not just another ignorant 'assimilated' foreigner who's behind the curve? (I seem to remember you're going to call your first born girl Hana so she fits in wherever she goes...)

You know the relationship you have with the company as a whole, etc and how much they need your company. I'd probably do it if I (generally) valued them. However much many people may think lots of things are bullshit, they still do it.

> However much many people may think lots of things are bullshit, they still do it.

That's because they're cowards with no appreciation of true risk.

How many salesmen are getting about in August in hot, dark-colored suits, visiting 'cool-biz' clients, and sitting there sweating horribly and making everybody feel uncomfortable out of 'politeness' - because 'it's expected for salesmen to wear suits'? I had a visit from a housebuilder in August, and I had to beg the stupid **** to take off his jacket so he wouldn't drip sweat all over my kitchen table. (And it's not just rebel freelance foreigners we're talking about here. They had a segment on NHK news about how salesmen are not getting with cool-biz and how they suffer.)

These people have no common sense, and no appreciation of how little risk is involved in changing their mindless ways.

Personally I don't like doing that kind of thing if it seems silly. But sometimes I do them. Silly me, perhaps.

I work in with a big group of people round me and have seen the way they treat people who see themselves "out of that group" if you know what I mean. I'd rather do some of these things, put them down to the living in foreign country thing and get on well with people.

Mina2, if you need to stay in touch with the company he works for in your business, probably you had better send one.

Because you said the company called you, not HE called you, right? I think a lot of his colleagues and business traders will attend the wedding and probably they think it's honored for both him and his company to get more denpo.

You may not agree with this way but as others have said, it's kinda "shoganai" thing.

:rolleyes:

Yeah mina2, best to do as you're told and get along with everyone. There's nothing else you can do. It's a cultural thing, and that determines how everybody behaves. You could get in trouble if you don't. It's a question of honour, even though the guy may not be up to scratch.

Or am I missing the point again?

Maybe the guy getting married secretly resents all this corporate interference in his wedding and is privately planning to get his revenge on all those companies that send dreary, stupid messages that are intoned all through his special day.

BTW, gamera's Japanese opinion is usually bunk. I'm Sexy is far more on the ball.

I'd just send it too.

Agree with Kintaro that it might be nice to send it in English. Would make it a bit more special for him than the standard phrases that everyone writes.

While some people on here might not agree with the principle of it, if you want to put your energy into effecting change in Japan there are many more important issues than this one.

Just for the sake of argument...

> if you want to put your energy into effecting change in Japan there are many more important issues than this one.

If you can't keep yourself from complicity in one small but irksome social obligation requiring no effort whatsoever, you're hardly going to be going out and tackling other more important issues that may require a lot more courage. Are you now? (mina2, why are you asking anyway? It looks like you've already chosen the easy road, irksome as it may be.)

It's also rather a big assumption that this guy is going to find any of this 'giri' stuff special, whatever language it's in. mina2 doesn't feel 'close' to him - what makes you think he feels 'close' enough to mina2 to make what he says special?

But hey, culture is important. Ignore it at your peril!