2005 census - in english ?

hey, does anyone know if the census can be taken in english? i asked the census representative twice if i can get an english version but he just said he didn't have one, but does that mean there isn't one at all?

i checked the website www.stat.go.jp & it has english information, but i couldn't find a mention of an english version.

the ad on tv has english, they've got a FAQ in english, but can i take the actual census in english?

i had a look through the japanese forms and can understand a fair portion, but i have a heap of questions & am not looking forward to it doing it at all..

yeah, we've gotta do it.

i'm guessing that's why the ad/posters are in english, too?

i remember a few years back in oz when i did the census, my roommate & i thought we were such rebels for stating our religion as 'jedi'.

*blushes*

Quote:
Originally posted by eyeeyeeyeeyeeye:
Us gaijin don't count, do we?
Only when they want us to!
Different if your house gets flooded and they hand out cash to the towns people, then the gaijin gets told,"sorry, you're gaijin, no money!"

Well, had a visit from the person who is delivering those things last night. Heres the story, womans Japanese has been put in English and after her tone changed my J-ling went from broken to worse:

*ding dong*

*ding dong*

*ding dong*

Yama: (thinking its 10pm...) once is enough! shut up and leave me alone :rolleyes:

woman: oh no, not a foreigner...great :rolleyes:

Yama: yes? what is it?

woman: youre a foreigner..so you dont understand me do you?

yama: what is it (really broken Jap)

woman: I need you to fill this out and send it in soon. (no please, keigo is gone)

Yama: ummm, ok, but, what does all this say? and what do I do?

woman: you have to read this, though cuz your a foreigner, I know you cant because none of you can, and send it in. Of course thats just impossible though right? (shes smiling and still keeping a pleasant tone...what a $itch)

Yama: Please tell me what this means...(getting irked)

woman: well, youre not very bright. what do you want me to do? waste my time and bring you an english version another night? So, youre gonna make me waste my time right?

Yama: English? oh, you have english? yes please.

woman: great, have to waste another night just cuz this guy is an iddiot.

yama: yes, english version is easy to read

woman: fine, only because you have to fill this out Ill get you an english one..I hope youre home next time I come. Dont make me waste another night and not be home now...

yama: yes, Im home at night.

woman: fine, Ill be back

yama: thank you

I have never seen somebody get so rude so quickly and her tone was obvious immediately when I opened the door. Was interesting to hear what came outta her mouth as she was quite insulting and rude...

Yes, that encounter really makes me wanna fill in the form :rolleyes:

What happens if we dont? We gonna get deported and arrested? lol.gif

did mine last night. took all of about 20min.

my experience was somewhat different to yours though yama.

tha dude called back tha next day with an english version. i told him I`d have it done by last night but i didn`t- not to worry. he said he`d call back this morning and pick it up, so i left it in the `door-box`. this morning at 6 30 i awoke to the sounds of him takin it out. shit meself at first, thought someone was tryin to break in.

i was somewhat suprised how `little` info. was required. i rememba doin one in oz and tha q book resembled a novel and took about an hour to complete.

all done now though \:\)

yamakashi - wow. man.. do you think she realize what you were saying?

at least she offered you an english version. i asked my guy again & he just chuckled at me.

& yr lucky she came by at night! mine has come at 7am on saturday & 7.30am on friday (the public holiday)

Yama, I'd love to hear that conversation in Japanese!

My lady got a shock when mr. Gaijin walked out ( thought it was sales or something).

Seems a hell of a hassle for them, she is always coming back trying to catch our next door neighbours without success!

bettyx, not sure I follow...do you mean to say do you think she knew that I understood her Japanese?

She came back last night Indo - I got the English version from her (I did it just cuz she was quite rude) and she was actually nice.

Before she knew that I could speak to her she tried her best in broken English saying she was sorry for being rude last night...I know everybody has good days and bad days. At that point I actually spoke to her and said I wouldve taken the J-version had she just not gotten so derogatory to me and she blushed.

Maybe next monday she will bring me a cake \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by HalfBiscuitHalfMan:
"said I wouldve taken the J-version had she just not gotten so derogatory to me"

Nice one. Out of curiosity, how do you say that in Japanese?
はじめから、貴方は俺に対してそんな見下して偉 381;うな風に喋ってなかったら、俺は日本語版を書き 込むつもりだったのに(協力するつもりだったの 395;)

sumtin like that
 Quote:
Originally posted by bettyx:
yamakashi - wow. man.. do you think she realize what you were saying?

at least she offered you an english version. i asked my guy again & he just chuckled at me.

oh my. this makes no sense. i think i deleted a sentence & then started anew, & somehow didn't read it before posting.

i meant to say, do you think she realized that you could understand her?

the way it currently reads, it looks like something my polish nana would say. sorry.

Someone came round to me the other night and pretty much ran away when they saw I was a gaijin. Perhaps me just being in my boxer shorts contributed to the scariness for them.

Just as I was leaving my place this morning there was a knock and I was surprised to find that the guy giving out the census lives/owns a house around the corner (he was surprised to see me answer the door, had no idea where I lived). He has a really cool cat that loves to talk to you when you pass by, unlike the many timid cats I've encountered here.

He's doing the census stuff voluntarily, which makes me assume that most of the people giving out stuff are volunteers.