A day snowboarding powder at Hakuba together. The weather was snowy with those big, fat flakes that drift silently downward, absorbing all noise. The quiet was puntuated only by our laughs of joy, for the hill was thankfully uncrowdeed. After a long day in the nipple-deep, with tired legs we retired to the little cabin we rented for the weekend. A little wine, and i made a light vegetarian dinner which we graciously ate in the moody half-light of two candles before slipping off to Kurashita-no-yu for and evening soak, and to look at the ski hill lights. Our bodies rejuevenated from the orange water, we returned back to the cabin, and took a walk together down the snow-covered, tree lined road, where we kept each other warm with silly conversation and held hands. We eventually got back to the cabin and continued the evening from the comfort of of out small, cozy room, the very ideal image of the word `nuku-nuku`. We continued on deep into the night, with bodies that forgot the strain of a days powder riding...

and then i wake up to find myself drooling on my desk in the teachers room in the heat of summer.

I think that's a great present! If I had a stock-savvy BF who gave me that as a birthday present I'd be thrilled, since I'd like to get a bit educated in that department myself. The education would be way more important and valuable to me than the present of the capital.

However, I have no idea what other women would think about that kinda present. It would depend on the person I guess.

Sunrise, you understand exactly what I am thinking. I won’t say I am ‘stock-savvy’ but I do think the Game is a good place to find out who you truly are. If you are interested, you can read Adam Smith’s (not real name) The Money Game.

"The world is not the way they tell you it is..."

Siren, I think it's a great idea, too! Been trying to educate myself a bit more recently and been playing with the simulator at investopedia.com.

As Sunrise said though, it depends on the person. You know your girlfriend best.

Thanks, me Jane!!

GF and I often joke about leaving the financial world and go and live in places like Nagano or Okinawa and have a few babies and I would learn to fish/farm and we can just live by managing our investments through the internet!

thumbsup.gif

And if the farming venture and Internet trading thing fails, you could always sell the babies. How romantic it would be, sitting on your back porch wondering how little Kenny is getting on, wherever the hell he is.

That's the old style romance.

I used to be romantic "when I was single!"

Maybe the most Romantic thing I have ever done was to take give my wife a 13 month honeymoon!

Siren, thats a risky one!

I would do it if my other half showed a real interest in that, but they don't and would rather have me do it. So for me it would be better to spend the cash on something else (for them)

Me Jane.

see if the main stock exchange in ya country runs the investing games. The Australian ASX run games a few times a year which is a great place to learn. Only downside is that they are only for a few months.

Viva white slavery!

I like the Kilgore Trout (i.e., Kurt Vonnegut) version of the stock market

Quote:
The Big Board

. . . It was about an Earthling man and woman who were kidnapped by extra-terrestrials. They were put on display in a zoo on a planet called Zircon-212.

These fictitious people in the zoo had a big board supposedly showing stock market quotations and comodity prices along one wall of their habitat, and a news ticker, and a telephone that was supposedly connected to a brokerage on Earth. The creatures on Zircon-212 told their captives that they had invested a million dollars for them back on Earth, and that it was up to the captives to manage it so that they would be fabulously wealthy when they were returned to Earth.

The telephone and the big board and the ticker were all fakes, of course. They were simply stimulants to make the Earthlings perform vividly for the crowds at the zoo--to make them jump up and down and cheer, or gloat, or sulk, or tear their hair, to be scared shitless or to feel as contented as babies in their mothers' arms.

The Earthlings did very well on paper. That was part of the rigging, of course. And religion got mixed up in it, too. The news ticker reminded them that the President of the United States had declared National Prayer Week, and that everybody should pray. The Earthlings had had a bad week on the market before that. They had lost a small fortune in olive oil futures. So they gave praying a whirl.

It worked. Olive oil went up.

I think the most romantic thing you can do is to do something for social justice. To make the world a better place for everyone. Playing the system for personal gain strikes me as very cynical behaviour.

If you have simple needs, you can easily become very independent (what may be termed "self-sufficient") without investments or saving up beforehand.

Ocean, little Kenny will have to start his financial education early and is expected to master the Black-Scholes model before entering primary school! \:D

Indosmn, everyone will lose money in the beginning. The important thing is whether one understands why. Anyway I plan to invest only 2mm (so that she will have to concentrate on a handful of stocks) and that’s all she can lose. So I’d say the risk is manageable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Siren:

Indosmn, everyone will lose money in the beginning. The important thing is whether one understands why. Anyway I plan to invest only 2mm (so that she will have to concentrate on a handful of stocks) and that’s all she can lose. So I’d say the risk is manageable.
Yeah, some do, some don't but my point was that some people don't have an interest in it. BUT if they do and they are keen I'd go for it! I would like my wife to get into it but she's more interested in the RE side of things which is a a big help to me. Maybe time will change things?