TOKYO, Sept 11 - Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi's long-ruling party won a landslide victory in Sunday's election for parliament's lower house, TV exit polls showed, a stunning win that will tighten the U.S. ally's grip on power and give him a broad mandate for market-friendly reform.

An exit poll by public broadcaster NHK showed the Liberal Democratic Party, which has been governing in coalition, would win between 285 and 325 seats in the 480-seat chamber.

My hope and belief that Koizumi was a finished force was er, completely wrong. Rats! I hope he doesn't do a GWB and take it as a mandate for rampant militarism.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can actually go into a Post Office in Japan and not cause several people to have fits when I ask to send a parcel to the UK. I wonder if Koizumi's reform will resolve that issue for me...

I can't vote here, although I can in England. I pay taxes here, although not in England. There's something a bit messed up about that.

selling it to who?

its one thing to split the bank and the mail services but its another to privatise it all.

Kozumi figures that the other banks will get the money thus force investment back into Japan. The problem is people still remember getting burned large after the bubble. Thus someone at 55 years of age is not gonna invest his hard earned moeny when he is so close to retirement. Reform means a samller government. reform means that the government takes a paycut. reform means that poeple who steal taxpayers money go to jail or have to pay it back.

Good article here about japan and the post office privitisation.

It's about time they got some of that 3.6 trillion dollars in the postal savings pool and invested it in things other than gavt bond that pay pittance.

Think of all those silly people that have their money in the post office, with it decreasing every year in value..

I am one of those silly people... I have never touched my money in the post office. My mom said I had to move my money somewhere else.

I'm good at saving money but not good at money game. I have no idea where to move... Foreign currency saving? SRI??

wakaranai.gif

Japanese are supposedly the best savers in the world! and i don't doubt that! But how much is the post office paying you in interest slow? Inflation (very low here) over a long time will eat your money up.

You could go for other countries govt bonds, shares, managed funds (equities/property etc). If you have no idea, managed funds are a good starting ground and you can invest smaller regular amounts.

If ya have any Q's send me a PM!

Japanese people are averse to risk. They don't realize that what actually happens to their money in the Post Office in fact is worse than the risk they want to avoid. I've been trying to get my risk averse wife to recognize this...

Indosnm, interest wasn't so bad untill 7years ago, like between 4 and 2 percent or so. But after that the interest is almost Zero!

Are you good at money, Indosnm? I thought Markie was good, too.

Slow I try to shoot for about a 10% + annual return. It all boils down to your risk profile.

Am I good with money? well, trying to be! I'm studying now to be a FP. If I can "retire" or work just for fun in 15 years then I guess I will have been successful!

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
10 percent!! That's impossible in Japan, isn't it? I want to use my money for something good. What do you think of SRI, Indosnm?
Slow, 10% might be impossible in a bank (in any country) but on the stock market thats a pretty conservative return. It's acheivable in Japan.
Australia's market has had a great past few years. Since last year one of my portfolio'S has seen a 52% increase in value (not including divs)

SRI'S to be honest I haven't really looked into them a great deal, sounds like O11 is your man there!