OK this deserves a thread on it's own, more on suisu later.

The two of us one night went for a traditional cheese fondue in Switzerland, wanted to see what it was all about. I just could not believe the obscene amount of cheese we got for the two of us - it was just completely over the top. If we'd have eaten half of it I think we'd have been ill. Very salty as well. It was nice, but we soon got bored of sticking bread, potatoes and pieces of meat in it. Put me off cheese for a week!! (Sorry cheeseman!)

The place we got we had the cheese in the pan, boiled potatoes (about 30!), a big piece of fresh bread and some bacon. Like I said, it was nice just way too much! I wasn't keen on the pool of fat that appeared in the cheese half-way through - had to ask for them to take it away and drain the cheese! lol.gif

rach, do you know Swiss people don't eat cheese fondue in summer?

I had home made cheese fondue at my friend's house. It was not salty, his mom used two kinds of cheese and a lot of wine. We didn't have meat but apples were very good with melted cheese.

Rach - On multiple visits to the Savoy region of France I have enjoyed superb cheese fondue. And on a winters trip to Switzerland I had home cooked fondue that was better than any I have tasted. Rach - perhaps you should not have visited Switzerland in summer and attempted to enjoy fondue from a restaurant that caters to the main road tourist trade (I arrogantly guessed this based on your decision to eat something 'to see what it was all about').

Smart arsed pokes aside, as an alternative to enjoying a great nabe evening at home, try making a good fondue at home this winter. This one I found ion the net, and is pretty much the same as the one I make.

FONDUE SAVOYARDE

1 Savoy white wine glass /pers.

Cheese 200gr, half emmental, half Beaufort /pers.

1 clove of garlic

1 teaspoon of starch

1 liquor glass of kirsch - pepper, nutmeg

Cut the cheese in slices. Mix starch and Kirsch. Cut the bread in small cubes. Rub with a clove of garlic, peel the interior of a caquelon. Heat up the wine; as soon as it starts to foam, throw the cheese bits without ceasing tossing with a wooden spoon. Spray with pepper. When the cheese is molten, add the starch and kirsch, without ceasing tossing gently.

Soak the small bread cubes in the fondue and taste.

Quote:
Rach - perhaps you should not have visited Switzerland in summer and attempted to enjoy fondue from a restaurant that caters to the main road tourist trade.
Yes, perhaps we should have. But on a 5 day whirlwind trip, we had a few limitations y'know - mostly time and of course not knowing where the best places are, not knowing the best thing to order etc etc (just like you in the UK maybe ;\) ). We did try to find decent places to eat and I actually really enjoyed the food a lot, and like I said the fondue was nice we enjoyed it. (Just a bit too much cheese!!)

you didnt try to do the Japanese thing and eat all the cheese just because its there and shouldnt be thrown away did you?

I went to a fondue restaurant when I was back in the Spring and loved it - same place I took my date for Prom. Chocolate fondue for desert is the best!!! \:D

I could not possibly have eaten more cheese without being ill, no kidding.

On the subject of Japanese, I think I saw more Japanese people in Switzerland than any other nationality. Sometimes I thought I was back in Japan. confused.gif

I'll write up more about the trip sometime soon. \:\)

Brisbane? That surprises me. Is that a really hot tourist spot with the Japanese then? I can quite imagine the popular places in Switzerland are swarming with Japanese tourists.

yeah, down around Queens Street there were so many I was shocked...figured there be a fair few but not that many. To be fair though, there really was a myriad of nationalities there. Quite nice. I think any college girl whos hot was in Brizzy - should invest in a house there before the market goes crazy!! \:D