SURF! Forget the snow, its all gone.

Hey Indo,

want to join me for a surf in the Arctic Ocean this August? \:\)

If things work out, I'm going to fly up to Barrow with my 7'6" very floaty epoxy board and try to surf some slop just for the hell of it. The wind always blows up there so there should be some okay mushburgers to play around on. The link is at work, but there is a webcam I check every couple of days that shows the beach and ocean by Barrow. Up until two months ago, it was solid ice.

I've got a free plane ticket on Alaska Airlines I need to use, so why not?

PS - I'd use it to go to Hawaii, but I won't have any vacation left then. Oh well. 80 degree water vs 38....... \:D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit nippy for me plucky.

I just waiti to get my surfs when I get home or go away!

If you think about it I have 25 days (full days to surf) so 50 surfs the whole time I am there. And good quality waves. I think it would take me 10 years here and I still wouldn't get as many good waves here as I could in a decent location. Anyway enough of my bitchin' , Have a sick time spud.. (U too Plucky!)

Just a heads up to any Tokyo heads that there will be a " Surf Night " at the Virgin Cinemas in Roppongi Hills this Friday night (July 22nd). From 12:00 midnight they'll be showing Blue Crush, Big Wednesday and Riding Giants consecutively.

(scroll halfway down the link above for more details)

riding.jpg

Goemon, did you go to the "Surf Night"? Sounds like it would have been fun. There is a sweet sounding new surf travel doco called "Sprout" coming out at the end of July that I am keen to see though.

Is that Sprout by Thomas Campbell? It’s been out on DVD for a while, its freakin cool. Shot really well, awesome soundtrack, and more importantly some pretty hot surfing.

Lots of retro boards, good waves and an emphasis on fun and lifestyle, rather than search and destroy.

deebs, "just a simple BALIN". all of my boards(8) have been Balins. Beano shapes em for me. check to see who tha shaper is- Dave Morro goes alright with a planner too!

trukin` spewin` about that movie night tanight- woul luv to have gone! got a stinkin enkai to go to instead.

Powwzer, I remember asking you yonks ago what type of board you had. Answer: 'ahh mate, just a Balin. She's good enough for me'.

I meant no nasty by it. When I said 'just/simple' I implied it was a plain slightly yellowed regular Balin. Not a the latest popular brand in semi-guns, what ever that is these days.

I'll check who shaped it later. I waxed it up last night, smelt good, hurt my lame shoulders though.

BPC, how long till you go to Fiji? You must be nearly frothing at the mouth at the thought of you in those frothing barrels all over the great reef passes of Fiji! Oh, how jealous we all are.

By the way, Kelly just beat Andy Irons in the final at perfect J-Bay with one minute to go. He was down the whole final and yet still manages to pull it out of his ass in the last minute with the siren just around the corner. How good is THE MAN!? There are rumours that he will retire if he wins it this year though. Any thoughts on that?

One week mate, one week to go.

My thoughts on KS leaving the tour.... I wish all seppos would leave the tour and Australia could return to the glory days of world pro surfing domination. Are we a bunch of kooks these days or what? Seriously, what happened to us?

ps - it is ok to call Americans 'seppos' in a surfing thread. It is normal practice across the surfing world, unless you are an American of course.

Well I joined this forum as a novice snowboarder visitng Japan last winter and now I am off to Brittany (north west France) for family holiday. Have discovered surf school near to where we are staying. I'm taking my (cheap) shortie wetsuit and body board and now I am hoping to have a crash 2 week course in surfing (in French....wont please mayor of Tokyo). Question is; 3 weeks solid boarding in Akita last winter saw me advance realy quickly, are any of the skills transferrable?

Regarding surfing in UK, friends this weekend loaded their VW's and drove to Wales. This is very Japanese as they drive through the night, surf, sleep and drink and drive back late on Sunday, shagged out for Monday am.

Ahh London it's shit. ;\)

Woywoy, Were you able to watch Jbay coverage without the damn player buffering every 5 seconds? I ended up turning the damn thing off and will have to wait 2 months 2 see it on gaora (sky perfect tv) Reunion Island comp was similar, I think they need bigger servers or something. Maybe those messages too always updating may be affecting the live coverage?

As for the tour, The aussies are there (5 in top 10 and 12 in the top 20) but just not consistent enough. Fanning with 2 wins this year gets another 17th (3rd this year) doesn't really put much pressure on AI & Kelly. Munners is the big suprise still holding down 3rd though. As much as I would love to see an Aussie claiming the title, I would really like to see Kelly claim his 2nd then his job is done, but wether he retires is another question... I have found myself wanting to see "Brucey" do well the last few years. Just love his surfing,,

Quote:
Originally posted by torihada:
This is very Japanese as they drive through the night, surf, sleep and drink and drive back late on Sunday, shagged out for Monday am.
Welcome to my college years in Oregon, USA.

Winter (Nov - May) skiing, the rest of the time, surfing. Sounds like a couple of my J buddies.

Many surfers in the US don't live the Cali/Hawaiian lifestyle......

Just sayin'.........

I am a 10 minute pushbike ride to the beach now. The only problem being that it is flat down here at Shonan 80 percent of the time. Typhoon No.7 is warming up down off the Philippines though and we might have rideable waves by tomorrow?

Anyway, I went out and bought the "Sprout" soundtrack on your recommendation Goemon. It is super cool indeed. I already had the flyer up on my dunny wall and am keen to see the film on the big screen at Shibuya in early August.

As for the 'CT ... I do hope Kelly Srater wins it this year. He still surfs amazing and at 31 odd years he is still up for beating the likes of Andy Irons etc. who are still in their prime years of their mid to late 20s. As for the Aussies on the tour at the moment, the Coolie boys stand out, especially Fanning and Parkinson, but I can't see them challenging for the title. Bruce, Andy and KS are way too good for them. Surfing has changed a lot since the days Aussie domination of the late 80s and early to mid 90s. How many years is it since an Aussie has won the 'CT though?

DB, I think it is fine to call American surfers "Seppos". The surf mags always have done, and since this is a surfing thread, I cant see anyone getting upset. Its just a nickname, anyway. Just like Aussies and Poms!

Are there any longboarders here?

I have always prefered longboard, Takeoff and turning gives me a special feeling of energy and gravity that i cannot get from shortboard.

...and there is always the quest for nosetime.

generally i like my boards long, heavy and singlefin

Shortboarding (also) looks like a lot of fun though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
Are there any longboarders here?
I have always prefered longboard, Takeoff and turning gives me a special feeling of energy and gravity that i cannot get from shortboard.
...and there is always the quest for nosetime.
generally i like my boards long, heavy and singlefin
Shortboarding (also) looks like a lot of fun though.
Wrongboard?
Wrongboards are just for people who can't ride shortboards. :p