I have a new interest in King Kong. As part of my coming surfing trip to Fiji I am spending some time surfing a reef that is in the shadow of the island on which they filmed the original KK movie. remember the island with the big mountain? Yes, that one.

nagigia3.jpg

If you follow that website, you'll have completely spoilt the fun of seeing the movie the first time I reckon. I might be interested in seeing all that after seeing the movie.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was a tad too unbelievable at times, even though its a story about 8 meter tall gorilla, giant insects and dinosaurs!. It was asking a bit much of the audienece to soak it up unquestionably.

Mainly for me it was the invulnerability of the heroine, she came out the jungle smiling and clean and with barely a scratch when in even semi reality she should have been scratched, muddy as hell and sufferng multiple broken bones and severe whiplash or dead. nogood.gif

Perhaps that was the intention, of Peter Jackson to portray an old school depiction with invincible heroes.

And how many crew were on the that tiny ship? it was like the Doom video game and the crew was being respawned! seriously, where the hell did they all keep coming from?

The ship, I want one! any ship that can take a pounding on rocks like that and come out sturdy is something to behold.

And where did all the natives go? did they suddenly disappear?

A tad more realism and less invincibility would have improved it for me

The good? King Kong rocked!

w00t.gif

motion capture is the only way to go. Andy Serkis was King Kong just as much as he was Gollum, you could really see the actor behind the CGI. (100 facial sensors capturing every part of emotion will help with that!)

King was Kick ass! especially in the T-Rex fight.

Great effects, including the weird penis like giant worms with teeth.

could have been 20 mins shorter.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it, very sad even though I knew what was going to happen.

It was very curious where all those natives went though, and the middle part while exciting (and gross) turned into Jurassic Park but it was fun.

I'm going to see Memoirs tonight.

Good stuff. I thought some of the cgi in that dinosaus chase part looked rather rushed but apart from that it was very impressive. I'm going to hunt down the original and take another look at that, I vaguely remember seeing it when I was a kid.

It was pretty wild, that was for sure. Funnily enough the most unbelievable part for me was at the end where the heroine was hanging outside in the below-freezing cold for hours with just that skimpy evening dress on. She should have been blue with hyperthermia by the end of that flick lol.gif

Cool I thought, esp once they got off the boat.

Has anyone seen all of the production diaries they made? They're actually selling it as a double dvd even now.... saw a few and they looked really interesting but I'm really not into downloading huge files and watching the tiny images on my computer.