Hi Cheesefans, it's time for the Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week posts go get weekly* again

* I hope

:)

This week, lets go to Switzerland

Sbrinz

The oldest of the Swiss cheeses that has its origin in Roman times. Sbrinz is aged from 18 months to 3 years. It has a rich flavor and is very mellow and tangy. Softer younger versions are known as Spalen.

--

Sbrinz is a very hard cheese produced in central Switzerland. It is often used instead of Parmesan cheese in Swiss cuisine. The cheese is produced in only 42 dairies in central Switzerland. Only local cow's milk is used when producing this cheese. It is kept in the region until ready for consumption. Contrary to popular belief, the name Sbrinz does not originally refer to a particular place or region. Nevertheless, the Swiss Cheese Union added to this myth by launching an advertising campaign in the 1990s. As a result of this campaign, there is now an area called Sbrinz.

Sbrinz is an extra hard full fat cheese. It contains approximately 40% to 45% of fat when dry. The cheese must ripen for 16 months before it can be sold as Sbrinz, and the full flavour only develops after about 24–30 months in storage.

Sbrinz is claimed to be the oldest European cheese.

SbrinzCheese.jpg

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning Cheesefans. It's time for a new Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week!

This week let's do a lesser well-known English cheese, I tried this once and it was very good.

:yummy:

Beenleigh Blue

Modern, farmhouse, unpasteurized, organic, vegetarian, blue cheese made from sheep's milk. The shape reminds a cylinder. The rough, crusty, natural rind is slightly sticky and has some patches of blue, gray and white moulds. It is one of the blue cheeses made from sheep's milk in Britain. It is moist, yet crumbly, with the blue appearing as bold blue-green streaks through the white interior. The flavor is steely blue, with the burnt caramel sweetness, characteristic of fine sheep's milk. It melts on the palate, disclosing its strong, spicy character. It is wonderful with mead or sweet cider. The cheese ripens in six months and has a fat content of 45 - 50 per cent. It is available from August to January.

--

Produced by Ticklemore Cheese Dairy near Totnes, Beenleigh Blue is a pasteurised, vegetarian, blue, ewes’ milk cheese,.which has been described as Devon’s answer to Roquefort cheese, but not so salty.

The cheese has a moist and slightly crumbly texture, with tiny holes, with an ivory colour and blue-green mould running through it. It has a rich, creamy and slightly sweet, yet savoury, flavour. It is matured for 6 months and is available from early summer through to winter.

A whole cheese measures 20cm in diameter, 15cm tall and weighs 2.7kg

Beenleigh-Blue.jpg

beenleigh_blue_New.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Cheesefans.

OK it's time for a new Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week. This week, let's go over to Ireland. I really like this one.

Ardrahan

Modern, farmhouse, vegetarian, washed-rind cheese made from cow's milk. It usually has a wheel shape. The ridged, brine-washed rind is encrusted with brown, ochre, gray and yellow moulds. Ardrahan is made by Eugene and Mary Burns. It has a distinctive, earthy aroma. Beneath the brine-washed rind, the deep yellow interior is firm and slightly chalky. It exudes a wonderful complexity of flavors, the zesty acidity underscoring the buttery, savory, meaty character. The finish is reminiscent of a young Gruyere. The cheese matures in four to eight weeks.

Ardrahan.jpg

Ardrahan%20Cheese%202.jpg

So many cheeses, so little time!

haven't tried that but I've been eating a fair bit of Gruyere recently. Some salami, parma ham, pickled onions, beetroot, olives and tomatoes, cheddar and gruyere all washed down with a couple of bottles of plonk.......mmmmm

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cheesefans!

Time for Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week.

Fancy a "Brick"?

Brick

Brick's roots lie in Wisconsin at the end of the 1800's. Its name is perhaps derived from early moulding techniques, the pressing of the cheeses with actual bricks. The cheese has a number of small and irregular holes and an open texture. It suggests a mixture of sweet, spicy and nutty flavor. Brick tastes delicious with any kind of fruit, crackers, wine, beer or apple juice.

7__08245_zoom.jpg

Anyone tried that?

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon, Cheesefans!

It's time for another Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week!

How about this on, from Mexico

Cotija

It is a Hispanic-style cheese, known as the "Parmesan of Mexico". It was originally made with goat's milk but today cow's milk is preferred. This cheese is strongly flavored, firm and perfect for grating. It is used in Hispanic cooking, in a manner similar to the way Parmesan is used in Italian cooking. Cotija is commonly used to add a lively garnish to common dishes: simply sprinkle on top of refried beans, salads, chili or lasagna. In Mexico, it is also widely used to enhance the flavor of many savory dishes by mixing directly into the casserole or recipe. In the U.S. it is increasingly popular on pasta. See for yourself how much zestier any pasta or even simple macaroni and cheese will taste with a sprinkle of Cotija. It is typically shredded onto cooked foods, also in salads and with fruit.

150cotija.jpg

Looks good doesn't it.

I only tried it once.

looks a bit more Ricotta-like than Parmesan, but I'll bow to your superior knowledge Cheeseman!! I've actually been looking at ways to make my own cheese.......doesn't seem as difficult as I first thought.

well I had a search for cheddar but you can make any really, you just have to choose a different bio-culture to produce the cheese and then follow the storage instructions.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a new Cheeseman's Cheese of the Week, cheesefans.

Where this week?

How about Italy?

---

Asiago

Asiago is made in the region of Vicenza and Trento. It is a traditional, farmhouse and creamery, unpasteurized, hard cheese. Originally made of ewe's milk, now is made entirely of cow's milk. There are two types of Asiago: first one (mistakenly taken for Pressato) is a lightly pressed cheese made from whole milk matured for 20-30 days. Another one (Asiago d'Allevo) is the mature cheese made with skimmed milk. Long and slow maturation process creates fruity, slightly sharp cheese with a compact, granular interior full of small holes. Matured over 2 years, becomes intensely flavored. Can be grated and used as a condiment.

agedasiago.jpg

asiago-cheese.jpg

:yummy: