I must admit that I've had a love/hate relationship with karaoke.

It seemed to start more as love when I first came here, but has gradually trandsformed itself into something that is just the opposite. Even 10 pints of beer seems to not make it so much fun recently.....

I think it is like a lot of other things in life, insofar as if you do too much of it, it becomes mundane after a while... there are some exceptions of course....

Maybe - considering that you liked it originally - you need a change of venue or a change of Karaoke companions....

I find that because I get to Karaoke with different people all the time it always seems interesting and fun....

I sometimes have gotten the same thing with skiing.. the couple of seasons that I've managed over 50 or 60 days, I've been a little burnt out by season's end and my attitude to make the 2 hour drive to good snow has waned....

Good thing I can't afford the time or money for such enthusiasm here in Japan...

deebee.... "though does't protest too much"..

Your utter distaste would sugest a tramatic experience somewhere in you Karaoke past...

Pray tell...Please tell us the story that has made you feel this way... or are you the kind of person who doesn't like stuff "just because"???

Like many things in Japan, Karaoke is part of the social fabric and as such should bear some tollerance - even if you sing like crap, look like hell or are a social leper... I for one fit one or two of the aforementioned, but still enjoy a little sign song around the "Japanese" campfire every once in a while...

Sorry, I didnt mean to offend. Perhaps I shouldnt have been so blunt in my statement. There are just some things in Japan that I just find not enjoyable. Karaoke is one. Having said that there are plenty of Australian social events that I find equally unappealing.

I have seen karaoke a few times, I find that the booth variety is a very strange concept.

Ocean - stop sniffing that brain melting, heart starting liquid.

.... I should add that I see many things in Japan that seem strange to me, obviously because I am not Japanese.

I went to Code nightclub in Shinjuku on the weekend and that seemed very strange, even considering the very heavy nightclub history that I have from Australia (Sydney). Both myself and my girlfriend more than suprised at the experience.

Say it as it is deebee will ya?!

I used to like it but not as much now - many of my friends just don't seem to go as much. Is karaoke losing some of it's appeal with the Japanese as well I wonder?

someone tell me whats the force pulling people to who cant sing getting up infront of a bunch of strangers and singing so outta tune that people wanna stick their fingers in there ears.....

??

Sam (not a fan of karoke) confused.gif

Sam..

I think it helps to be over here and be able to experience it a few times before forming a decision... I used to laugh my arse off at friends who would do this back in Canada.... but once here it's a little different... part of the culture... hard to avoid...

And, like most other things in life, your level of enjoyment is sometimes entrenched in what you put into it...

Certainly not all Japanese think it's the coolest thing either... but I think it's akin to standing around drunk with yer' mates and singing footie songs or chanting for the local rugby team... To some this might look foolish as well - but you have to admit that ( just like Karoake ) it's easy to get caught up in the moment....

When u get to Sapporo we'll have to get you and Drew out to sing (not sign) a little " Waltzn' Tilda "...

BTW: what's a billie and why to you boil it ???

For very cheap nights out on the piss you cant go past karaoke, can you? I mean where else can you drink all night, and even sing a little bit if you want to, for 2000yen? Meanwhile, I have had many bad experiences with the evil shochu they put in the sours but still... gotta say that it is cheap for a night out on the town. A karaoke room can even double as a love hotel! Definitely a lot cheaper as well. Sweet as!

Fred,

A billy is like a bushman's kettle. It is like a large tin can with a handle. This is filled with water and then placed over a fire in order to boil the water. It is only used when you are camping etc

As for getting me up to sing - i'm going to have to be very very very pissed. I really can't sing to save myself. Sam will tell you that!

Cheers

I've had some real good times doing (?) karoake. Go with the right people, tanked up to a place that has decent songs and it can be real fun

Karaoke is so much part of the entertainment here with many young people and difficult to explain to people back home > where the image is of a karaoke night booze up down the Cat and Kettle on a Thursday night. Not a pretty site. They take it oh so seriously here. (Why???)