Amazing Cultural Experience...

Last night was another first here in Japan for me.. An amazing cultural experience... My wife dragged me off to the "SMAP" concert at the Sapporo Dome with her friends....

Oh my god.. Words escape how exactly to describle this interesting piece of Japanese Culture..

Cultural Phenomenon #1 -

We were all surprized to find out our tickets were stage right 3rd row - right in front of a moving stage that comes out about 10 times for a band member to get within 1/2 meter of the audience and about 2 meters from our seats.

Apparently - in the Sapporo Dome at least - all tickets are the same price and your seat is simply a "luck of the draw"... so you never know where you will sit until your tickets arrive and even then the system for numbering floor seats defies reason or desciption...

Cultural Phenomenon #2 -

SMAP is like Male strippers are to the chicks in the West... You know - Mild mannered secretary by day / lusty, crude, sex starved animal during Ladies night at the strip club... Man, chicks dig these guys...

Cultural Phenomenon #3 -

Japanese concerts are WAY too organized to breed the Chaos that I'm used to at a concert... When the concert was over everybody sat in their seats until their section was called and then, in the most orderly of manners, they exit.. No Chaos, no punch ups...... ( of course this was the drawback to being in the 3rd row as we didn't get out of the Dome until 1h 20mins after the the show was over - Smap guys were halfway back to Tokyo I'm sure by the time I saw fresh air )

Overall Impression... I had a hoot... wasn't exactly Pink Floyd Division Bell in Vancouver - dating myself here - but I think it was a bucket of entainment for the money... I didn't know how I would like it but I got home last night and felt close to the same way I do after a GOOD day on the slopes... Weary, broken, sore, poorer.. but smiling and wanting more...

A+++ Japanese Cultural Experience - whether you like the band or not

PS: Men really have to love Sapporo at this time of year....

Warm enough that all the ladies are still wearing their shortest skirts and cold enough that most are now wearing those knee high leather boots too.... eek.gif

Higuma... you have to love women in short skirts and boots. I dont know what it is about them but they drive me wild! Even in the strongest snowstorm in winter these chicks will be in their short skirts and boots! Very very hardcore indeed.

I have to admit that only one of them sings well - the married guy from the TV dramas - then Shingo sings OK but the rest are so-so at best...

What I can say is that they are quite amazing entertainers... I went thinking that these guys were a bunch of spoiled playboy Pratts but I was impressed that they appeared to be quite sincere, fun loving and MAN they worked there butts off for 3 1/2 hours.. that in itself was real impressive.. I'll bet they burnt off about 5,000 calories each...

As far as other blokes.. I was up front and so my feild of vision was backward only... but there was a family of 5 behind us including papa and 1 son... other than that I couldn't see any other men in my visual range...

To geuss I would say 1% males @ maximum...

Now lets see bachelors ~ 54,400 women and 600 guys - - > > Sounds like Nirvana....

...... sounds like teen spirit!

A while back i saw marilyn manson in tokyo. Talk about lame- no fights, no aggression, no smokin in tha main hall, no drinking in tha main hall.....

kind of like tha vicar had come around for some tea and biscuts!!!

It was very strange to see the reaction on other Japanese friends faces.. they had that exact reaction " You went to see SMAP?"...

They seemed incredilous that a man would go.. let alone a gaijin guy...

But almost anybody Japanese I have spoke to has been jealous...

My wife says that Smap has been around since some of the members were like 15 yrs old.... and now the oldest is 30 so... between 10 and 15 years or so..

That's some pretty amazing staying power for "boy band" pop stars...

30 somethings... Ha.. I would say that the "average" age was 30 or so... there was a large contingent of very attractive ladies in their late thirties / early 40's there...

And yes, I was already a fan of Smap/Smap on Mondays.. the cooking portion - Bistro Smap - is quite good I think....